• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patty
    • Nov 2003

Registration emails aren't received

Hello,

Here's what is happening with my new vBulletin install:

When someone tries to register, they DON'T receive the necessary email. I've tried this several times myself with email addresses I know to be functioning.

Using the mailtest.php test DID work - I rec'd the email without any error messages.

I just set up a forum and included my email address to be notified when a post is added, and I DID receive that email.

Can someone help me figure out why the registration emails are not working?

Many many thanks,

Patty
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

Do you require email activation?

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Please don't double-post:

Hello, It seems like I must need to specify my email server somewhere, but even after much searching I can't find where that would be. Can someone straighten me out? Thanks very much in advance. Patty

If you are requiring email activation, then as I pointed out in your other thread, you will need to view the mail logs to see what is happening to those emails.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Patty
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by tubedogg
        Do you require email activation?
        Yes.

Patty

Comment

• Patty
          • Nov 2003

If you are requiring email activation, then as I pointed out in your other thread, you will need to view the mail logs to see what is happening to those emails.
          Actually, you instructed me to run "mailtest.php". You said that if it did not succeed, or if there were error messages, to view mail logs, since the problem would not be with vBulletin.

In fact, running "mailtest.php" did succeed without errors, and in fact some vBulletin email functions work, so apparently it isn't a server issue. It's definitely not a mailbox issue; I'm using functioning email accounts of my own to test.

The only one that does not work is registration emails. I would appreciate further help with troubleshooting this problem.

Thank you,

Patty

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

You will still need to view the mail logs to see what happened to the missing emails. This is either a server and/or mailbox issue and the mail logs will tell you what happened.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Patty
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              You will still need to view the mail logs to see what happened to the missing emails. This is either a server and/or mailbox issue and the mail logs will tell you what happened.
              Ok, thanks. Would you please just confirm for me that I understand this correctly so that I can explain it to tech support at my host company.

-- I have several POP email address which work perfectly. I've been receiving mail with them all day. So we can eliminate it being a mailbox issue.

-- I use those email addresses with "mailtest.php" and it works fine.

-- I use those email addresses to receive notification that a post has been made, and it works.

-- I use those email addresses to register for the board, and it doesn't work, ever.

The conclusion is that this has nothing to do with vBulletin, but a server problem. Am I understanding correctly?

Thank you.

Patty

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Yes, providing you do have email activation turned on. The only way you are going to find out exactly what happened to those emails is by looking at the mail logs on the server.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Patty
                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  Yes, providing you do have email activation turned on. The only way you are going to find out exactly what happened to those emails is by looking at the mail logs on the server.
                  Thank you, Steve - you were right (of course). :-) Tech support at the host company said that they had to make some adjustment to the site's mail configuration, and now it works fine.

Patty

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

I'm glad your host fixed this. Sometimes they take the easy way out and blame the software but yours is one of the good ones.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...