X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patty
    • Nov 2003

Specify email server?

Hello,

It seems like I must need to specify my email server somewhere, but even after much searching I can't find where that would be.

Can someone straighten me out? Thanks very much in advance.

Patty
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You can't specicy a mail server with vB. vB uses PHP's mail() function. You need to configure PHP to use the correct mail server. Are you on a dedicated server?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Patty
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      You can't specicy a mail server with vB. vB uses PHP's mail() function. You need to configure PHP to use the correct mail server. Are you on a dedicated server?
      Oh. OK. No, I'm not, I'm on shared hosting. What do I need to ask/request of the host?

Patty

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Patty
        Oh. OK. No, I'm not, I'm on shared hosting. What do I need to ask/request of the host?

Patty
        First of all, what makes you think the email isn't properly configured on this server? Most professional web host servers already have this set up.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Patty
          • Nov 2003

First of all, what makes you think the email isn't properly configured on this server? Most professional web host servers already have this set up.
          Ok, good question. (1) I assumed it needed to be set up by me because the ASP and ColdFusion boards I've set up required it. As you can see, I am a rank newbie to PHP.

But (2): People who register for the board don't receive the email.

Not sure what I should be checking. Can someone help?

Patty

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Upload mailtest.php to your forums directory (it's in the 'extras' folder of the zip file) and run it from your browser. Using your email address as a test, what happens? Any errors? Do you get the email?

If you do not get the email then this is a server and/or mailbox issue. You will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. Since you are on a shared server you will need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Patty
              • Nov 2003

Upload mailtest.php to your forums directory (it's in the 'extras' folder of the zip file) and run it from your browser. Using your email address as a test, what happens? Any errors? Do you get the email?

Thanks very much - will do this first thing tomorrow.

Patty

Comment

• Patty
                • Nov 2003

Upload mailtest.php to your forums directory (it's in the 'extras' folder of the zip file) and run it from your browser. Using your email address as a test, what happens? Any errors? Do you get the email?.
                Did this. I received no errors, and I did get the email.

I then tried again to register for the forum as a new member, and again the email wasn't received. I've tried this with several of my own email addresses. None are over-quota; they're my everyday email addresses which are working fine.

What should I check next? Many thanks again for your help.

Patty

If you do not get the email then this is a server and/or mailbox issue. You will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. Since you are on a shared server you will need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

It seems you've continued this here:

Hello, Here's what is happening with my new vBulletin install: When someone tries to register, they DON'T receive the necessary email. I've tried this several times myself with email addresses I know to be functioning. Using the mailtest.php test DID work - I rec'd the email without any error messages. I just set up a

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...