Suggestions forum not allowing new threads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

I cannot give you that ability, but I will mention this to Allen.

However, at the risk of sounding all doom and gloom - I would just question if swamping Jira with suggestions is entirely wise ?

Irrespective of the above, those doing such an excercise would need to be very picky. As you say, it would be hard work, and that means it could be quite soul destroying for the people to see their efforts closed off as Out of Scope or equivelent. Just something to keep in mind.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• we_are_borg
      • Aug 2004
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Paul M
      I cannot give you that ability, but I will mention this to Allen.
      That would be great if you can talk to Allen.

However, at the risk of sounding all doom and gloom - I would just question if swamping Jira with suggestions is entirely wise ?
      No it would not be wise the use vBulletin 4 project, better is to make a new project and use that as long as its Jira it should be fine.

Irrespective of the above, those doing such an excercise would need to be very picky. As you say, it would be hard work, and that means it could be quite soul destroying for the people to see their efforts closed off as Out of Scope or equivelent. Just something to keep in mind.
      You do not to be picky just enter everything in it then say this can be done, all ready implemented (if you do not notice it at first) or its out of scope or not going to happen with an explanation why this is. But at least it got a fair review of vBulletin and people should know that not everything can be implemented in the core of vBulletin.

Comment

• Pandemikk
        • Apr 2009
        • 3.7.x

What's the point of the prefix? Is it to be used on threads that will be converted to JIRA? Wouldn't it make more sense to make a sub-forum for those threads then? Surely it would be quicker since you can move every thread checked but would have to add the prefix one thread at a time, not to mention more organized.
        Rap Battles & Hip Hop Music - LyricalThreats

Sure glad he's former staff. Didn't even bother to validate my license

Comment

• we_are_borg
          • Aug 2004
          • 4.2.X

You can't convert multiple threads to Jira at once so moving them would be slower the using a prefix.

Comment

• Pandemikk
            • Apr 2009
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by we_are_borg
            You can't convert multiple threads to Jira at once so moving them would be slower the using a prefix.
            If you're converting a thread to JIRA you must then edit that thread and add the JIRA prefix (pretty time-consuming when done a lot of times). It makes more sense to, say, convert a thread to JIRA, check mark it, then continue to convert threads until you're bored stiff. Then you can simply move all the now-converted-and-checked threads to the "converted" sub-forum with a few clicks of a mouse.
            Rap Battles & Hip Hop Music - LyricalThreats

Sure glad he's former staff. Didn't even bother to validate my license

Comment

• we_are_borg
              • Aug 2004
              • 4.2.X

The problem you have when converting will be when your browser or your self makes an error then you have lost the checked box and then you need to remember what you did, low tech is sometimes better. When you put the thread in Jira just edit change prefix and done simple but all most nothing can go wrong. When doing this you have a few seconds rest to do something else your why is faster if nothing happens but then you get tired real fast because you do more.

Comment

• Allen Lin
                Former vB4 Project Manager
                • Apr 2009

This was brought to my attention. Mulling over a couple of different options.

As a point-of-order, we haven't forgotten the suggestion forum. When we decide to act on a suggestion in the forum, we create a Jira for the change ourselves. What's currently missing is the ability for users to vote on the suggestions, since they haven't been transferred to Jira.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 4.2.X

Well thats why i bring it up from development standpoint its better to have it in Jira because Adrian said some time ago you can do more in Jira than we think. I presume that you have plug-ins in Jira that interact with other software like subversion etc. On the other hand its like i said you can't spend office hours for this because you need developers and other staff working on vBulletin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...