X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pandemikk
    • Apr 2009
    • 3.7.x

reCaptcha has been cracked.

In case I didn't make it clear before, I'm not asking for support- I am requesting vBulletin take into consideration adding a much more viable anti-spam solution to their features to aid against "the war on spam". vBulletin Staff should not close my thread because I am unlicensed, as my unlicensed status has no affect on how SERIOUS this problem is becoming.

Originally posted by http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/371781-reCaptcha-has-been-cracked.
    I wasn't sure where to add this, so apologies.

But reCaptcha has been cracked. I'm sure I'm not the only forum Admin who's replaced reCaptcha with a unique question and answer solution to prevent spambots. I did a little test, this morning I switched back to reCaptcha and left the computer for a few hours. When I came back I had 4 newly register spambots. Ridiculous.

vBulletin needs to recognize the problem spambots have become and become help become apart of the solution.

I recommend you add: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...ojects/asirra/

It's a system that uses a image database of over 3 million cats and dogs of which user has to properly distinguish from to register. Not only is this a much more viable means of preventing spam, but it is also much more user friendly and easy.

Please do something about this forum spam. Even with a unique question and answer solution I am still getting a new spambot registering every other day.
    Please do not just lock my thread. This issue will not be solved from this thread locking, nor will it be solved from me re-purchasing vBulletin. I am sincerely trying to help your software excel and profit. I implore you to take the matter of "forum spam" more seriously.
    Rap Battles & Hip Hop Music - LyricalThreats

Sure glad he's former staff. Didn't even bother to validate my license
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Pandemikk
    In case I didn't make it clear before, I'm not asking for support- I am requesting vBulletin take into consideration adding a much more viable anti-spam solution to their features to aid against "the war on spam".
    The solution is already there: Q&A

The JavaScript works in all major browsers; it has been tested in IE6, IE7, Firefox 2, Safari 2.0.4, Opera 8.54 and Opera 9.23.
    Pretty old isn't it?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

This has already been covered many times before and there are already suggestions in the tracker regarding this. There is also this:

How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Pandemikk
        • Apr 2009
        • 3.7.x

Yes, yes. I've already read that multiple times and I do use the Q&amp;A feature. Spambots still are registering.<br><br>You guys need to stop avoiding the issue and look into it. Spambots are only getting cleverer and smarter, pretty soon they'll be breaking through Q&amp;A's faster than reCaptcha. <br>

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

I am not avoiding anything. If you have followed all the instructions in that link, then I do not believe you will have nearly the problem you are having. If those are not good enough, then you can check over at vbulletin.org for some unsupported third-party add-ons to help with spam control.

And if that is not good enough, then please feel free to make a 'New Feature' request here:

We take all suggestions into account when determining the feature set for new versions but unfortunately we cannot confirm whether a particular feature will be included in a version.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Pandemikk
            • Apr 2009
            • 3.7.x

Understandable, thank you for pointing out the tracker- but I do hope this feature won't be overlooked or not even considered.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being disgusted with the amount of spam our forums receive despite taking the best measures vBulletin has in place. Multiple Q&A's are nothing to a dedicated spammer with a database of your questions and it's answers.

Unfortunately, it seems I can not create an issue due to being unlicensed. Lol.
            Last edited by Pandemikk; Sun 23 Jan '11, 3:51pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

I'm curious, if you are not a license owner then why is this a concern for you?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Pandemikk
                • Apr 2009
                • 3.7.x

1) I hate forum spam.

2) Personally, I don't feel the need to be directly affected in order to suggest an improvement, especially if the improvement would help others being affected by the problem.

3) I run a forum that's being affected by this spam. Although I'm not a license holder / owner, I do the majority of Administrative tasks.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

What is the URL of that forum? You should ask the license owner of that forum to run to fill out a suggestion then.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Final Kaoss
                    • Nov 2006

So, if you're unlicensed, what forum software are you implementing the Q&A on? Are you implying that your using a pirated vbulletin?

Originally posted by Pandemikk
                    Yes, yes. I've already read that multiple times and I do use the Q&amp;A feature. Spambots still are registering.<br><br>You guys need to stop avoiding the issue and look into it. Spambots are only getting cleverer and smarter, pretty soon they'll be breaking through Q&amp;A's faster than reCaptcha. <br>

Comment

• cloferba
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      if anybody try to help on the development of the software, he should be listened..no matter if he is a customer or not.

and, if you didnt noticed, many people who used a nulled version bought a licence...(thats my case).

so pay attention and listen to anyone...most at all now because vbulletin is losting customers every day, you should make an effort to make feel happy any potential customer
                      vBulletin Services I offer: www.Todo10.com
                      Technical vB/Server/Hosting support Service also!

Comment

• Hedelund
                        • May 2006
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        Does it matter if he is a licensed user or not?

It is a shame to see that you do not take this warning way more serious.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

You misunderstood me. I take this very seriously and others have already made suggestions int he tracker regarding this. However there is ample reason to believe this user is running an illegal copy of vB, and I do have a right to be curious. Sorry of that offends you both.

With that, this question has been answered.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...