A tag is a metadata keyword or term string attached to a content item. Once the tag is attached, it can be used in a search for content.
vBulletin tagging allows users to apply their own keywords (tags) to most content types. This allows users to categorize items based on their actual content.
Tags can contain any character except a comma, which is used to separate multiple tags. Additionally, you cannot add tags with the following characteristics.
- Have less than an administrator-specified number of characters. The default is 3.
- Have over 25 characters. (This is the default value. You can change it with the "Tag Maximum Length" option.)
- Contain any censored words.
- Are in a list of common words that you create yourself.
By default, tags are shown alphabetically and paginated. If you want to see which tags have been added recently, you can click the Display Newest link.
Below this, you can add a new tag or control synonyms:
To add a new tag, type it into the text box and click Save.
You can manipulate synonyms by checking one or more tags in the tag list and then using the pulldown list to select one of:
- Merge Selected as Synonyms
- Promote Synonyms to Tags
- Delete Selected