X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lurk
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.7.x

Camera questions

Hey all, I plan on buying a camera some time in the near future. I saw a huge ad at a best buy for the Kodak v570.

I thought it'd be a really nice camera because of the dual lenses and all. The thing that I want to know about is how good the quality of the camera is and if you would recommend it.

Also note, I have a Kodak DX6490 which I got from my grandpa as a christmas present. How would this camera compare against it?

If you would recommend a different camera, I'd want an ultra compact one that would fit in my pocket, which is another reason why I'd want this one.

Thanks in advance!
    Lurk
    Let the flames begin.
  • tgillespie
    • Dec 2002
    • 3.7.x

The Kodak v570 would be a nice camera. The major thing your going to recognize when switching from the 6490 to a smaller compact is the lack of zoom, which is understood. If it was my money, I would look into either a Canon or Olympus. Since you've already owned a digital camera I'm sure your at least a little comfortable with digital photography. When working in a camera store I found that n00bs much prefered Kodak, but when buying a second camera or upgrading, customers were much happier with a more feature rich camera.

I also wouldnt let the 2CCD feature act as a buying point. You probably wont do to much wide angle shooting, so why bother? Here are a few cameras to take a look at.

The PowerShot SD700 IS is an awesome camera being released this April. Its the first of their compact series to include Image Stabilization which is actually a considerable feature. Clears up pictures nicely. It might be out of your price range ($450-500) but is definately a lot of camera. You might think about the SD 600 or 550 too.

Olympus also makes great compact cameras as well. Take a look at the Olympus SP-700.

When going with a higher end brand you'll get a nicer build, metal vs plastic bodies, faster shooting, a better picture, and more control.
    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

Grr..I gotta find what Kier's latest recommendation is. I think it was the 20D or 10D or somethign like that.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

Something like that, but it's definately not something you can put in your pocket
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Vile
          • Jul 2002
          • 3.6.x

Here is the thread with Kier's info:
          Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          Grr..I gotta find what Kier's latest recommendation is. I think it was the 20D or 10D or somethign like that.

The 20D or any SLR would not be the best for the OP since he is looking for a small compact camera.

Many people prefer Kodak for its simplicity, but quite honestly I don’t think you should go for it. Of all cameras Best Buy sells, I see Kodak cameras coming back most often needing repairs. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again but Canon’ cameras are great in terms of quality, and the prices for their point & shoot cameras are reasonable.
          Last edited by Vile; Tue 4 Apr '06, 1:41pm.
          Webmaster / Administrator
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Dec 2000

I know there is a £300 rebate in the UK for the 5D at the moment.

I'm using a Canon 350D and its good. For a portable camera I use a Pentax S5i since its nice and pocket sized, small enough to go into a pair of jeans and not much wider than my mobile phone.
            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• tgillespie
              • Dec 2002
              • 3.7.x

Compact cameras people. The lense on a SLR is bigger than a compact camera
              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Lurk
                • Feb 2004
                • 3.7.x

That's true.. when my grandpa bought it, he just took it off the shelf without bothering to truely look into it.

What I do like is the looks of it... I love black.

But yeah, he got a Kodak as his first and the reason he gave it to me for christmas was because he got a much better Canon camera - I can't seem to remember which, but I know it was a Canon.

A few reasons why I want a new one is because I hate the fact I can't slip my cam into my pocket. The other reason is because I really hated how the camera functioned and took pics... I don't know if I'm doing this wrong, but whenever I take a shot when I see what I want, the pic almost completely changes from what I saw when I hit the shutter button.

Thanks again!
                Lurk
                Let the flames begin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...