Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Join this group if you think vBulletin 5 has a future.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join this group if you think vBulletin 5 has a future.

I wanted to create a small group for vBulletin promoters to talk about vBulletin's latest product.

The bad is accepted just as much as the good but this is primarily for members to speak their mind about what they want to see in the next releases and also promote the product as a whole.

Feel free to join and post your opinions.

I upgraded our site in late May from 4.2.3 to 5.2.2 after a failed attempt at the end of April. The failure was an Apache configuration issue, differences in our development vs our production environments, and nothing to do with vBulletin itself. After blowing up the production site I had to restore from backup. It made for a long, frustrating Saturday.

That said, I'm mostly happy with the upgrade. there are a few things we can't do that we used to, but we are now running it with zero mods except the Tapatalk Extension. We had over 20 in VB3, and were down to about 6 in VB4. There is good and bad with it. I like the greater flexibility of ad placement vs VB4, I don't like that I have to place them manually at each location on every page. Site builder is awesome, and by using a PHP module with an include of an HTML file I can move all my custom html blocks from development to production with a simple directory copy. That alone saves me about an hour a week exporting and importing and retesting templates. I sorely miss some of the vbAdvanced modules we had and plan on recreating their functionality when I get time.

Better documentation of both the software itself, and developer documentation other than a few how to articles here would be welcome.
    Last edited by twistsol; Wed 15th Jun '16, 12:56pm.

Comment

Originally posted by twistsol View Post
      I upgraded our site in late May from 4.2.3 to 5.2.2 after a failed attempt at the end of April. The failure was an Apache configuration issue, differences in our development vs our production environments, and nothing to do with vBulletin itself. After blowing up the production site I had to restore from backup. It made for a long, frustrating Saturday.

That said, I'm mostly happy with the upgrade. there are a few things we can't do that we used to, but we are now running it with zero mods except the Tapatalk Extension. We had over 20 in VB3, and were down to about 6 in VB4. There is good and bad with it. I like the greater flexibility of ad placement vs VB4, I don't like that I have to place them manually at each location on every page. Site builder is awesome, and by using a PHP module with an include of an HTML file I can move all my custom html blocks from development to production with a simple directory copy. That alone saves me about an hour a week exporting and importing and retesting templates. I sorely miss some of the vbAdvanced modules we had and plan on recreating their functionality when I get time.

Better documentation of both the software itself, and developer documentation other than a few how to articles here would be welcome.
      Here's some documentation I posted a little over a year ago just in case it helps.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-5-connect/vbulletin-5-connect-questions-problems-troubleshooting/vbulletin-5-tutorials/4186900-stylevars-definitions-full-list

I can't remember where I found it and your right there isn't that much documentation on style changes. Then again I don't remember much documentation for any forum software out to date.

But I'm glad you like vb5. As far as mods go, vbulletin definitely isn't at the top list of willing developers but things like this take time. There's things they could do to increase productivity in this and it seems they have already tried with enabling a hook system.

Anyways I appreciate your reply.

Comment

I mainly develop mods for vB5 and offer them (mostly) for free for vB5 customers. Check it out on my signature.
        Last edited by Glenn Vergara; Sat 10th Sep '16, 11:24am.

AutoLinker-vB5+vBCloud | Topic Starter Ribbon | Blur Replies for Guests | NavMenu Dropdown-vB5+vBCloud | TimedSticky | Events Module | Moderator List | Drag/Drop Upload

Comment

this is primarily for members to speak their mind about what they want to see in the next releases and also promote the product as a whole.
          Just upgraded to the latest version. The calendar is a nice feature, but I would have rather seen some other things like you see in my signature.

Please vote for these issues and Ill return the favor for your most important issues.
          Please vote for:
          - Lightbox for all uploads
          - Attachment permissions for unregistered users

Comment

Yes i think it has future, so i decided to develop vB5 Products. !!

Comment

We've been using vBulletin for over 11years, had two very successful forums, one of which we sold so now only have one.

Managing the server and database side was always the hardest part, the forum side has always been easy. One of our sons, an IT expert, helped with the server/db sadly he passed away and we have struggled with managing that side of things for the last few years so recently we moved to vBulletin Cloud hosting, I can honestly say it is the best thing we have done, all the worry has gone and we can now concentrate on the forum side and our members.

The move over was easy and straightforward but there have been a few teething problems moving from 4.2.2 to 5.3.2 patch 1 as there are considerable differences but slowly they are being sorted by ourselves or with help from support.

So, to your question, is there a future for vBulletin, yes definitely, it is the best software we have ever used (and we tried a few before settling on vb) so long as the support continues because without much documentation it can be daunting, especially for a complete newbie. However Wayne Luke is busy creating what looks like a great resource, all he needs is time

One thing I'd like to see is easier set up of permissions, especially for moderators, because there are several places you have to set them in the control panel and without instructions you can go wrong. Always worth having a test membership so you can view as specific usergroups and make sure it's all working.

Last edited by MrsTiggywinkle; Mon 18th Sep '17, 8:57am. Reason: Correcting version

Comment

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X