So are Groups better now than in vB4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So are Groups better now than in vB4?

Like many of you, I've always seen great potential in the Groups area, but it never seemed finished enough to make them really work. They were hard to find, you had to manually check them since they did not send out any notifications. Perhaps the worst thing about them was that they were not organized, so finding one you liked was difficult at best.

There were some mods over at .org that could make them functional at least, but nothing that really make Groups worth using. Has anything changed in vB5??

Well Group Posts show up under "Today's Posts" - that's how I found this post. They are pretty much identical to forums in VB5.

Comment

• jdj
      jdj commented
      Editing a comment
      If groups are pretty much identical to forums, in order to understand how to use them, how do they differ from forums?

That's an improvement. I assume that them showing in Today's Posts is a permission based things. So if this was private group, only members of it would see it there?

And I see I got a notification that your replied as well... another step in the right direction.

Comment

Correct, it should be permissions based.

Comment

Thanks for all the help and info Joe. I just played with adding a Group Icon, but it does not appear that it can be changed once you select one??

Comment

Okay, I just found that you have to edit the Icon on the main group page, not in the group admin edit area. That makes it quick to edit it, but not very intuitive based on how other things are done.

Comment

Wow, I just got the email notification today about the reply you made on the first.

Comment

So, for some reason, none of my Groups are showing up unless someone is logged in. Each of the groups are setup as viewable by Everyone. I have looked in Channel Permissions and all of the groups show that Users Not Logged In should be able to View Topics. Not sure where to go from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
                Group [s]...... They are pretty much identical to forums in VB5.
                How do groups differ from forums?

Comment

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X