• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kier
    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
    • Sep 2000

[RELEASE] Template Control Panel for 2.0

UPDATED 28-02-2001

This hack for vB2.0 Beta 2 will allow you to edit a single template set, or all of them at the same time, is dramatically less bandwidth-hungry than the current system, and allows quick searches through the templates by clicking in the <select> element and pressing a key; for example, if you want to find the 'header' template, just click in the select and press 'h' on your keyboard...

To install, follow the following instructions:

First, open the file forums/admin/adminfunctions.php and find the line
    Code:
    OPTION  {COLOR: #51485F; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 10px}
    and replace it with this:
    Code:
    OPTION    {FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 10px}
    This will allow the text of the <select> elements to be green or red in the templates page...

Next, open the file forums/admin/template.php and find the block of code that looks like this:
    PHP Code:
    // ###################### Start Modify #######################
    if ($action=="modify") {

(
    lots of code in here)

}

// ###################### Start search ####################### 
    and comment out the code between the { } like this:
    PHP Code:
    if ($action=="modify") {

/*
    (lots of code in here)
    */
    }

Next, just after the first open brace, add a line so that the final code looks like this:
    PHP Code:
    if ($action=="modify") {
    include 
    "./ktemplate.php";
    /*
    (lots of code in here)
    */
    }

Next, find the section of text within the template.php code that looks like this:
    PHP Code:
    $DB_site->query("INSERT INTO template (templateid,templatesetid,title,template) VALUES (NULL,'$templatesetid','".addslashes("$title")."','".addslashes("$template")."')"); 
    and replace it with this:
    PHP Code:
    $result $DB_site->query("INSERT INTO template (templateid,templatesetid,title,template) VALUES (NULL,'$templatesetid','".addslashes("$title")."','".addslashes("$template")."')");
    $templateid $DB_site->insert_id($result); 
    Finally, upload the attached file to your forums/admin/ folder, rename it to ktemplate.php and you're all ready to go.

19th Feb 2001 Additions:
    The hack will now auto-select the last template you edited when you return to the list from submitting an edit, or adding a new custom template.
    Cookie functions can be disabled for users who do not use output_buffering
    Lots of minor bug fixes (this one actually works )
    Please note: if you do not have output_buffering=On in your php.ini, you should comment out the '$usecookies' line at the top of ktemplate.php
    28th Feb 2001 Additions:
    I have now restored the original template.php's 'view original' functionality through the use of a little javascript. I have tested the script with browsers going back to Nutscrape 4.6, and they all work fine.
    Just as an added extra, the hack now tells you how many global and custom templates you have...
    28th Feb 2001 Additions: (more )
    I just modified the code a little so that you can double-click in the menus for a default event:
    Double-clicking a global template name will activate the 'add' function, giving you the option to create a customized template.
    Double-clicking a customized/added template will open the edit page for the selected template.
    Right-clicking a customized template will display the original template of that name. (Right-click functionality is IE only.)
    Last edited by Kier; Fri 9 Mar '01, 6:14am.
  • Dark_Wizard
    • Jan 2001
    • 3.6.x

Very nice...thank you so much!

Comment

• WildWayz
      • May 2000
      • 3.6.x

Excellent hack!

--JAmes

Comment

• Dark_Wizard
        • Jan 2001
        • 3.6.x

Had to post another thank you for making my job easier....Excellent Hack!

Comment

• Kier
          • Sep 2000

A slight enhancement -

This is a new version of the file ktemplate.php, which now gives you the option to specify the size of the <select> items - just open up the code and find the lines at the top of the code that read:
          PHP Code:
          $global_max_size 10;
          $custom_max_size 15
          Edit these numbers to taste - their meanings should be fairly self-explanitory. The defaults of 10,15 are what I have found to be most usable, but everything depends on the display resolution you are running.

Note: if you set the value to 1, the select menu will become a pop-up menu, rather than a list.
          Last edited by Kier; Sat 17 Feb '01, 8:04pm.

Comment

• CGiFORCE
            • Jan 2001

great hack man!
            thanks alot

Comment

• fastforward
              • Nov 2000

This is a great hack kier. It certainly speeds up template editing!

Now... if only you could select a default style/template set so that whenever you come into the edit screen it is selected. I've lost count how many times I've overwritten the default one by mistake!

We'll just never be satisfied.

By the way... I'd like to say thanks to the Jelsoft developers/designers of this template concept. It truly is the dogs bollox! There is nothing you can't change with this system. (although my wife isn't too happy with the amount of time I'm spending playing with it)
              Last edited by fastforward; Fri 16 Feb '01, 8:59pm.
              http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

• gekko
                • Jul 2000
                • 3.6.x

Great script! This makes template editing a lot easier, and now when you just edited a template, went to your forum, realized you didn't get it perfect and need to go back the that template you only go to the custom, and not sort through the whole list. Nice job.

Now i'm just wondering why i have 12 header templates.
                The Wiire

Comment

• Kier
                  • Sep 2000

Originally posted by fastforward
                  Now... if only you could select a default style/template set so that whenever you come into the edit screen it is selected. I've lost count how many times I've overwritten the default one by mistake!
                  Coming right up...

Comment

• Kier
                    • Sep 2000

Okay, the hack will now remember which template set you were editing, until you click the [Edit a different template set] link.

Please note that this version of the script requires on of two things to be active:

You must either have GZip encoding turned on for your forum, or you must have
                    Code:
                    output_buffering = On;
                    set in your php.ini configuration file. output_buffering is PHP4 only. Without one of these two items, the cookie-setting mechanism will fail, resulting in an error message.

Once the final version of vB2 is out, I will make the necessary modifications to the script to remove these requirements, but for now, it would require too much messing about with the code to make it worth my while.
                    Last edited by Kier; Sat 17 Feb '01, 8:04pm.

Comment

• fastforward
                      • Nov 2000

You da man!
                      http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

• SoulReaver
                        • Nov 2000

WOW

SUPER

I like to see it in Beta2

Thanks.....

cya

Comment

• pestilence
                          • Feb 2001
                          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

looks kewl

looks fab great improvement and much easier for people like me..i get this spat out at the top of the page though when i enter the templates in vbb admin
                          Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/doasquad/public_html/forums/admin/adminfunctions.php:17) in /home/doasquad/public_html/forums/admin/ktemplate.php on line 28
                          ?? any ideas ?

Comment

• Kier
                            • Sep 2000

Re: looks kewl

Originally posted by pestilence
                            looks fab great improvement and much easier for people like me..i get this spat out at the top of the page though when i enter the templates in vbb admin
                            Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/doasquad/public_html/forums/admin/adminfunctions.php:17) in /home/doasquad/public_html/forums/admin/ktemplate.php on line 28
                            ?? any ideas ?
                            Like I said above, if you don't use gzip compression for your boards, or you don't have output_buffering enabled in your php.ini, then the cookie function will cause the error you are getting.

I will post a new version with enhanced functionality in a few minutes, and a quick fix for this error.

Comment

• Kier
                              • Sep 2000

I've updated the hack and posted new instructions at the top of this page.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...