Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpeedStreet
    • Aug 2002

Open Post to Stupid People

Are some people just slow? Seriously, who decides to upgrade to a beta version of a software pacakge without taking necessary precations.

I am getting really fed up with seeing people yelling and whining about how much they are upset with vBulletin's Developers for the release of vB3. One site, a former board of the month, continues to go off and talk about how the release of vB3 has made the mods to their vB2 board obsolete.

Last time I checked, beta meant NOT FOR LIVE USAGE. If you are so hellbent on the latest and greatest, you are going to pay the price while the final kinks are worked out of the software. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to update right this minute...in fact, nobody is holding a gun to your head PERIOD.

Being that I used to work in the software industry, it makes me really sad that people are abusing the team that has worked so hard to accomodate us all. Pessimists need to stop pointing the finger and looking in the mirror when their sites go down during this upgrade process. If you knew anything about software development and/or project management, you would NOT be throwing the mud so viciously.

And for that site that posted up that rude message about vB3, I have a finger for you to see

Keep up the good work guys, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

- J
  • CeleronXT
    • Mar 2002

Originally posted by SpeedStreet
    Are some people just slow?
    In a word: yes.
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
      • May 2002
      • 1.1.x

Are people that stupid? I thought the words "BACKUP YOUR DATABASE" were pretty clear. Maybe they should be huge, bold, red, glowed, shadowed, flashing, and scrolling?

Comment

• Eric12
        • Jun 2003

Lol squall14716

Comment

• Dalius
          • Sep 2001

I've already seen one site *****ing about how much they hate vB for upgrading to BETA software....smart move by them, huh?

Comment

• MasterMac
            • Sep 2002

Yeah, I see those types of people all the time. I really want to slap some sence into them

Comment

• someuser190826
              • Oct 2002
              • 4.0.x

It was a mistake on their part, I am starting a brand new community, so we installed it live to check it out, though it doesn't go live til July 1st, just for testing.

Comment

• stanmxl
                • Mar 2003

If nobody upgrades to vB3, how will it be tested?

Comment

• Andrew111888
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by stanmxl
                  If nobody upgrades to vB3, how will it be tested?
                  There's a difference between upgrading to test and upgrading to whine.

Comment

• stanmxl
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                    There's a difference between upgrading to test and upgrading to whine.
                    Everyone can install it and keep it on a private server where nobody accesses it. This is not real world testing (the admin and a few others will be the only one accessing). The guys at vBulletin can do better real-world testing just by this board alone.

People need to use these beta's, and since we're paying customers, we depend on vBulletin to follow through and provide us with a quickly developing and stable product.

There's no use in having a beta for months and months, just as there's no use in promising future add-ons for our sites and then delaying it. Put yourself in the position of the admin of a large site. I need to plan my sites growth, and I'm dependant on Jelsofts' promise to release vB3 to use some of their new features. Jelsoft delay's this, and now I must delay my sites development and tell my users that I made a false promise. Now I'm disappointed at Jelsoft because I paid for a service and these guys aren't providing that service as they said they would. This is why people are so "abusive" now. It's a whole chain reaction.

It's not my responsibility to beta-test their product, it's theirs to make a product that works for me. I'm paying for that, after all.

Comment

• Tolitz
                      • Dec 2000

Hehe, as I said ... people demand beta, they get beta, they whine coz it's beta ... the purpose of this beta is to test it for bugs ... read that again ... the purpose of beta is to test for bugs ... the beta was not released so that you can use it without expecting any problems. It was released so that you can find those problems, report them, and ensure that the final version is as glitch-free as possible.

Yeah, it's inconvenient to you, but that's your problem. If you made a promise to your visitors, it's your responsibility, not Jelsoft's. They didn't make that promise, you did. They said they'd release a beta, and they did. Your responsibility if you use the beta is to find the bugs, report them, and make suggestions.

It is not your responsibility to test the beta, you said. Then why did you install it? The purpose of beta is to test for bugs (wait, didn't I just say that?) Maybe you don't understand, read it again.
                      The purpose of the public beta is to allow you, administrators and users of vBulletin boards to get acquainted with the system before its final release, and to find any remaining bugs that may need to be fixed.
                      If you want a stable product "that works", keep using vBulletin 2.3.0 ... no one's forcing you to upgrade to the beta. It's even foolish to blame jelsoft for your own misinterpretation on what a beta product is. You didn't pay for the beta - you paid for the license to use the full stable product (2.3.0). Jelsoft didn't need to release a public beta, there is no agreement that obligates them to do so. This is a bonus to members - it's not what they paid for. No one forced you to use beta software, you wanted to. If Jelsoft promised a bugless beta, sure, then you can whine.

If you are impatient, and you are disappointed at vBulletin for releasing a beta product that has bugs (haha, redundant, isn't it?), you are free to try other products who release "bugless" beta software.
                      Last edited by Tolitz; Mon 16 Jun '03, 12:22am.
                      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• BillaBongUSA
                        • Mar 2002

Even if Jelsoft delayed the release date for so long, the point is that you shouldn't use BETA software if you're not prepared to handle some minor or serious bugs.

[Edit: Oh, looks like The Hedgehog replied before me. Judging by the length of his post and the amount of bold things, he probably covered things better than I did...]
                        http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

• Dave#
                          • Jul 2000

Why would anyone care how people are getting on running the beta? How does it effect your life one iota? How can you find the the energy to care that other people whining about the beta testing of a commercial product?
                          http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Tolitz
                            • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Dave#
                            Why would anyone care how people are getting on running the beta? How does it effect your life one iota? How can you find the the energy to care that other people whining about the beta testing of a commercial product?
                            Hehe, how could you even care if we care about it or not?
                            OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                            "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• Dave#
                              • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Tolitz
                              Hehe, how could you even care if we care about it or not?
                              I know I know

Must stop reading threads that wind me up
                              http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...