Upload A New vB Database... (On top of slightly older one)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xube
    • Oct 2001

Upload A New vB Database... (On top of slightly older one)

Background Info:
    • I am about to switch my vBulletin board to a new server.
    • I have moved all of the various files over to the new board.
    • I have uploaded a copy of my database to the new server.
    • While doing all of this my site is still up and running on the old server, with new posts being added to the database located over there.

Here's My Question:
    Once I'm done tinkering with the new site and getting every thing set to run smoothly, If I were to delete the (older by a few posts) copy of my database which is running on my new server and upload the newer (slightly larger, because the new dB contains additional posts which were being made on my original board site) copy of that same database onto my new server, would everything still work corrrectly without having to make any additional changes in any of the files under my /forum file areas of my control panel on the new server?
    :p -=Xube ®
    ...it's just technology
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That should be fine as long as both databases are from the same version of vB.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Xube
      • Oct 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      That should be fine as long as both databases are from the same version of vB.
      Thanks Steve. You know this brings up another logical (...or maybe illogical?) question:

There are the many repeated warnings to make sure we backup our databases before doing an upgrade to a new vBulletin version but when we upgrade our boards... isn't it just the templates and various /forum located files that are revised?

Does upgrading a board to a new style/version actually change items in the database? I was thinking more in terms of the various style/template ugrades being an improved means of projecting the existing database information differently, as opposed to a physical change in the basic information stored there.
      :p -=Xube ®
      ...it's just technology

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Yes, upgrading changes the database. Otherwise there would be no need to run an upgrade script.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...