Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xube
    • Oct 2001

Moving Database

I have a question about step four in the moving database instructions from vBulletin...

Step Four - Bringing it back online
    • Go into your config.php and change the database name to the database name you created in Step 3, if necessary.
    • upload config.php
    • Go into your admin/index.php and then click on "options" and change the URL (if necessary) and verify the options and click "submit"
    I have uploaded all my files to the new server, including a copy of the dbase. when it says "go into my admin/index.php...." does it mean go into the file directly using my control panel or does it mean access this file online by going to a web address(?) where the file is located... ie something like

http: //www MYWEBSTIE .com/admin/index.php

When I do this I get this message:
    There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
    An E-Mail has been dispatched to our technical staff... who you can also contact if the problem persists.
    We apologise for any inconvenience.
    It appears that I can't access the admin index.php file to change it to the correct URL address ... until it is already pointing to the correct URL address?
    Last edited by Xube; Thu 5 Jun '03, 2:11am.
    :p -=Xube ®
    ...it's just technology
  • phill2003
    • Apr 2003

whats the error message you are getting we might be able to tell you whats wrong when we see that.........

but i would hazzard a guess that the config details are wrong...........

Comment

• Xube
      • Oct 2001

Originally posted by phill2003
      whats the error message you are getting we might be able to tell you whats wrong when we see that.........

but i would hazzard a guess that the config details are wrong...........
      In one email titled vBulletin (cp) Database error! this is the error:

Database error in vBulletin Control Panel: Link-ID ==
      false, connect failed
      mysql error: Access denied for user:
      'MY LOG IN NAME @ localhost' (Using password: YES)
      mysql error number: 1045
      Date: Thursday 05th of June 2003 06:30:34 AM
      In a 2nd email titled vBulletin (forum) Database error! this is the error:

Database error in vBulletin: Link-ID == false, connect
      failed
      mysql error: Access denied for user:
      'MY LOG IN NAME @ localhost' (Using password: YES)
      mysql error number: 1045
      Date: Thursday 05th of June 2003 06:32:22 AM
      The log in name referenced in both error messages above was changed from the old site database admin name that I had on my old server to the name that has database access on my new server (ie: it's the name I have to use to log on in my new control panel to create/add/delete databases on my new server)... is there somewhere else that my old dbase admin name is still being referenced other than here telling my forum that it is still looking for my old database log in name?
      ...it's just technology

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

This error means either:

1. One or more of the following is wrong in your config.php file:

$dbusername
        $dbpassword
        $dbname

If you are unsure of what the appropriate values are then you will need to ask your web host.

2. Or that this db user is not assigned to that database or does not have permission to access MySQL. Since each web host is different, if you do not know how to do this then contact your web host for help.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Xube
          • Oct 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          This error means either:

1. One or more of the following is wrong in your config.php file:

$dbusername
          $dbpassword
          $dbname

If you are unsure of what the appropriate values are then you will need to ask your web host.

2. Or that this db user is not assigned to that database or does not have permission to access MySQL. Since each web host is different, if you do not know how to do this then contact your web host for help.
          Ok, well the only asterisk* I would have to add to this discusssion is that I am in the process of moving my vBulletin to a new server, hence I'm currently using a copy of the database over there. Attempting to view said database through the new site's subdomain structure. I have been successful at viewing the other files (such as the new site homepage, smilies..and other files) thru the subdomain, but just not the database.

If you move a database/forum to a new site which is a subdomain but displays as a direct domain...

ie: users will still type in the same domain they have always been using, it will take them to the site which just happens to be a subdomain on the new server -- the address bar at the top will still show the basic domain address it has always shown

...are there any "pointers" within the vBulletin config files etc that have to be set differently?
          Last edited by Xube; Thu 5 Jun '03, 9:19am.
          ...it's just technology

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

I'm not sure what the question is. The only 'pointers' are in config.php. If this is set up correctly and the db user has permission to access this database, then it will work.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Xube
              • Oct 2001

I'm not sure what the question is.
              You know, reading back on that post of mine I'm not sure what the question is either. j/k seriously, as I was writing that one I was thinking, I know what I mean to say as I write it, but will anyone else know when they read it. <ugh>

The only 'pointers' are in config.php. If this is set up correctly and the db user has permission to access this database, then it will work.
              Yes, Steve, this is what I was getting at. Was wondering if the only places in the various templates & php files that referenced the physical site of where my dbase was located would be in the config.php file. Thanks!
              ...it's just technology

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

The db is referenced in config.php.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...