• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JAWilliams
    • Mar 2001
    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Selling Things on my site

Heya,

We are currently looking into selling items from our website and I am trying to find the best way to accept payments.

I have no experience of this - and don't know where to start

there is paypal accounts, and worldpay - and thats all that I have really looked into so far - anyone else got ideas of what I could try?
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

PayPal is a great way for a business to handle payments.

And 2CheckOut is also a nice way.

Comment

• Chen
      • Jun 2001

What I think about 2CheckOut:
      What are the main differences between the two? In your opinion, which one is better and why? Do other payment services exist that are better than both of these? Discuss.
      Chen Avinadav
      Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• Morphious

I use PayPal to receive any payments that I may have, and I find it to be a great way to get money.

Comment

• MarkB
          • Apr 2001

Avoid 2Checkout like the plague! Their system works 'ok', but their customer service (especially on their forum) is woeful...

I use PayPal through my store, until I have enough turnover to warrant a real merchant account...

Comment

• JAWilliams
            • Mar 2001
            • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by MarkB
            Avoid 2Checkout like the plague! Their system works 'ok', but their customer service (especially on their forum) is woeful...

I use PayPal through my store, until I have enough turnover to warrant a real merchant account...
            are you all using the merchant pay pal account

Comment

• Joe
              • May 2000

If your volume is going to be over a grand a month, go with a independant cc processing company, you will save money in the long term. For small payments, I use both 2checkout and PayPal, I prefer PayPal.
              Bike Forums.net

Comment

• i am coo man
                • Jun 2002

Originally posted by MarkB

Just curious about your comment, but what is a 'merchant account'? How is it better than just using paypal? Do you pay for the account, but not have to pay royalties on the sales you make? Also is that how paypal works, you give paypal royalties and they handle the transactions?

Comment

• poolking
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by i am coo man
                  Just curious about your comment, but what is a 'merchant account'? How is it better than just using paypal? Do you pay for the account, but not have to pay royalties on the sales you make? Also is that how paypal works, you give paypal royalties and they handle the transactions?
                  A merchant account is a "proper" credit card processing account, these type of accounts do not use a third party to process cc transactions.

These merchant accounts are offered by banks, to process transactions, they take a % of each transaction to cover the rental of the equipment and processing charges.

For example you walk into a store and hand your card over to be swiped to pay for goods, these stores use merchant accounts.

Comment

• i am coo man
                    • Jun 2002

OH! Thanks! So I guess paypal takes more a % from each sale? How much?

Comment

• filburt1
                      • Feb 2002

OH! Thanks! So I guess paypal takes more a % from each sale? How much?
                      I use a PayPal premier account which lets me accept credit card payments, which have come in very handy only recently. They charge no fees ever except for when you receive a payment via a CC/PayPal user, and then it's about 2%. Over time, well worth it due to the convenience.
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Same here, the business account charges every x % per transaction I think.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr.../index-outside More details here. (i think) Merchant tools.

Comment

• i am coo man
                          • Jun 2002

Um, only a premier account can accept credit cards? what else do they expect people to pay with?

Comment

• subduck
                            • Sep 2002
                            • 3.6.x

what do you guys suggest for merchant accounts?
                            worldpay?

Comment

• filburt1
                              • Feb 2002

Um, only a premier account can accept credit cards? what else do they expect people to pay with?
                              From other PayPal users. Remember you can transfer funds from a savings/checking account, too.
                              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...