Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TurboFC3S
    • Jun 2001

Can't upgrade from 2.0.3

I'm trying to upgrade a large forum based on 2.0.3 to 2.2.9 ... but when I run the upgrade13.php I get this:

Code:
    [b]Updating settings ....

[/b]Altering Poll Table to support Multiple Choice Polls

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
    An E-Mail has been dispatched to our [email=][color=#0000ff]Technical Staff[/color][/email], who you can also contact if the problem persists. 
    We apologise for any inconvenience.
    Any ideas on what the problem would be?

Thanks
  • mjames
    • Nov 2000
    • 3.8.x

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Try posting the exact details from the e-mail you should have received. More details may mean more help.
    Marc James
    Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
    Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

We need to see the entire error message. Either post the contents of the email you received, or right-click on the error page and go to View/Source. Then copy-n-paste the error message here.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TurboFC3S
        • Jun 2001

Didn't know you could right click and see the error ... looks like a configuration error:

<!-- Database error in vBulletin: Invalid SQL: ALTER TABLE poll ADD multiple SMALLINT UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' not null
        mysql error: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' to database 'supravb'
        mysql error number: 1044
        Date: Sunday 16th of February 2003 11:33:06 PM
        Script: /admin/upgrade13.php?step=2
        Referer: http://www.supraforums.com/admin/upgrade13.php
        -->

But if vb is able to connect to the database with the same password that the upgrade script is using, I don't get it?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

Your db user doesn't have ALTER permissions. You need to ask your host to give you these permissions.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TurboFC3S
            • Jun 2001

I have root since it's my server ... how would I go about changing the users permissions in mysql?

Thanks again for your quick replies.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Check the MySQL site:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• nuno
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TurboFC3S
                I have root since it's my server ... how would I go about changing the users permissions in mysql?

Thanks again for your quick replies.
                Code:
                shell> mysql -uroot -ppassword mysql
                mysql> GRANT ALTER ON supravb.* TO  root@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'your_db_password_here';
                mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
                Last edited by nuno; Sun 16 Feb '03, 9:25pm.
                You're my Prince of Peace
                And I will live my life for You

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                  • Jun 2001

Ok, I don't get this ... vB can connect fine. In config.php it's setup to connect as root ... the password is listed in there. But if I try to connect through the command line as root with the same pass listed in the config.php, I get access denied?

I also have a backup script that runs as root, but it shows a different password for root. The script works, so I try using that root pass and still get denied. I don't get it, why vB can connect with that config ... and the backup works, but I can't log into mysql using the same root/pass combo.

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                    • Jun 2001

More weirdness .. I can execute commands as root with a blank password. Like if I run this from the command line:

mysqladmin -u root -h 127.0.0.1 -p extended-status

It then prompts me for a password, I hit Enter without typing any password, and I get my full extended status back.

Comment

• nuno
                      • Apr 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by TurboFC3S
                      More weirdness .. I can execute commands as root with a blank password. Like if I run this from the command line:

mysqladmin -u root -h 127.0.0.1 -p extended-status

It then prompts me for a password, I hit Enter without typing any password, and I get my full extended status back.
                      Oh, then root password is set to blank.
                      Do this:
                      Code:
                      shell> mysql -u root mysql
                      mysql> INSERT INTO user (Host,User,Password)
                          -> VALUES('%','root',PASSWORD ('your_db_password_here'));
                      mysql> INSERT INTO user (Host,User,Password)
                          -> VALUES('localhost','root',PASSWORD ('your_db_password_here'));
                      mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR root@"%" = PASSWORD('your_db_password_here');
                      mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR root@"localhost" = PASSWORD('your_db_password_here');
                      mysql> GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP,ALTER ON supravb.* TO root@"%" IDENTIFIED BY 'your_db_password_here';
                      mysql> GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP,ALTER ON supravb.* TO root@"localhost" IDENTIFIED BY 'your_db_password_here';
                      mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
                      Good Luck.
                      You're my Prince of Peace
                      And I will live my life for You

Comment

• TurboFC3S
                        • Jun 2001

How about reviving an old thread

Well, after messing with this way back when I pretty much gave up on upgrading. Things were running alright, and they weren't complaining so I left it. Well, they got hacked because of not upgrading, and now I have no choice.

So question is, I have a dump of their database. If I wipe the server, re-install everything and import their database, what do I do then? I don't have a copy of vB 2.0.3. Can I install 2.3 and still run the upgrade? Is there any way to upgrade the database outside of the upgrade scripts?

Just curious what would be the 'best' way to go about this.

Comment

• tubedogg
                          • Feb 2001

Import the database, then upload all files from 2.3.0 and run the upgrade scripts to upgrade from 2.0.3 to 2.3.0.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...