X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crazy Pete
    • Nov 2002

XMB converter -- need clarification

Hey folks,

I've used vBulletin as a regular forum member on a few different sites, and I'm now looking into using it for my forum software on my domain, http://www.expectedmiracles.com. We're the official fan site of Universal Records recording artist Matt Nathanson.

Currently we're using a heavily modified version of XMB 1.5, and I saw an annoucenment on here from a month or two ago that an XMB converter was finished for vB. My question is this, which version(s) of XMB does this convert successfully? At the moment, we have 526 topics / 4368 posts / 235 users, with much more growth expected in the weeks and months to come, so it's vitally important that the conversion be able to go as smoothly as possible and with as few headaches as can be avoided.

The main issue I have though, is that since this is such a modified version from how XMB is after a standard installation, I'm worried that the converter script might try to look for things to change that aren't there, or find things there that it doesn't know how to change over.

Hopefully I'm making sense, and hopefully someone can help me out a bit more by offering some more info on it. Thanks very much!
  • Cary
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

The XMB Converter imports your posts and stuff from version 1.6

So, you could upgrade your XMB to 1.6 then convert.

Comment

• Crazy Pete
      • Nov 2002

Thanks very much, Cary. I'm assuming also that this script will work with the new XMB 1.8 that's just been released? I had been leery of upgrading to that as well because I didn't want to lose the hacks I had installed, but I just tried it on my test system here and it went will. I lost them, but the main bulk of the data is still there and that's what important anyway.

So, this will work with XMB 1.8 -> vB?

Comment

• Cary
        • Apr 2002
        • 3.6.x

To be honest, I'm not sure. I think it does, but I'm not 100 percent sure, so I'm not promising anything.

If you could dump [backup] your database and send me a copy of it, I could test it out for you. Or - seeing that you are a licensed member, you could test the import script yourself - just make sure you backup your database first. (just in case the script doesn't work for you.)

Comment

• Crazy Pete
          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Cary

If you could dump [backup] your database and send me a copy of it, I could test it out for you. Or - seeing that you are a licensed member, you could test the import script yourself - just make sure you backup your database first. (just in case the script doesn't work for you.)
          I could do that, but currently our database is around 9MB, so that might take a bit to get to you depending on how I send it. As far as being a licensed member, I'm actually not just yet, but if all will be well as far as switching over goes, I'll be registering probably next week. Just have to get a few other things cleared up first.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Crazy Pete
            Thanks very much, Cary. I'm assuming also that this script will work with the new XMB 1.8 that's just been released?
            I doubt this will work, particularly if there have been any changes to the XMB database in 1.8. If not, then it might work.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Crazy Pete
              • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              I doubt this will work, particularly if there have been any changes to the XMB database in 1.8. If not, then it might work.
              As far as I've been able to tell, there haven't been any changes made to the database structure, it's mainly just code changes and optimizations.

-- Edit: Nevermind, I downgraded to 1.6b2 anyhow, so that should work fine. Thanks very much for all the help, by the way.
              Last edited by Crazy Pete; Tue 19 Nov '02, 1:46pm.

Comment

• Crazy Pete
                • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Cary
                To be honest, I'm not sure. I think it does, but I'm not 100 percent sure, so I'm not promising anything.

I'd still like to do this, Cary, if you're still willing to try it out for me. My gut tells me it will work, but I'd just like to be sure before I plunk down the cash. Forgive my moderate insistence.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Crazy Pete
                  I'd still like to do this, Cary, if you're still willing to try it out for me. My gut tells me it will work, but I'd just like to be sure before I plunk down the cash. Forgive my moderate insistence.
                  As Cary stated before, email him a copy of your database and he'll check if it will work. Cary's email is [email protected]
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Crazy Pete
                    • Nov 2002

Thanks Josh, I e-mailed that off to him just now. We shall see..

Edit -- Well, we saw indeed. It converted everything almost perfectly, the only thing to change was the forum order and a few minor things. The last post date/time wasn't there on the main forum display, but one new post and that was fine. Also, a few threads showed up as stickies when they shouldn't have been, but that's also an easy change. Excellent results, and many huge thanks to Cary for trying that for me. You guys rock!
                    Last edited by Crazy Pete; Thu 21 Nov '02, 12:18pm.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                      • Jun 2002

Great to hear that Crazy Pete.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                        Former vBulletin Developer
                        • Dec 2000

if you go into the admin panel and rebuild all the counters like it says on the last step of the importer it will sort the last post info for each forum and other things.

I used 1.5 for my test forum and then 1.6 and I dont remember any differences in the database, so it should work with XMB 1.5 and above as well as DevBB 1.0 and above which was a fork of XMB.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Cary
                          • Apr 2002
                          • 3.6.x

Yep... he was using 1.5 and it seemed to convert smoothly

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...