X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ABLady
    • Apr 2002

private messages

hi
    one of my member is saying that he is able to read someone else's private messages and they are not using the same computer? And that person can read the other persons!

anyone everh heard of such a thing?

please help

thank you
    Last edited by ABLady; Thu 26 Sep '02, 1:47pm.

:cool: That which is obvious, needs no introduction. :cool:
  • InSite
    • Aug 2002

Do you actually expect a sensible reply?

It amazes the hell out of me reading some of these "support requests" that you guys are actually in charge of a website.

Comment

• ABLady
      • Apr 2002

Originally posted by InSite

It amazes the hell out of me reading some of these "support requests" that you guys are actually in charge of a website.
      Dear InSite,

this is a legitimate question and if you don't understand it please keep your opinion to yourself and let those who need help get their help.

THANKS

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

No it's not possible unless they somehow got a hold of that member's password and logged in with it.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ABLady
          • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          No it's not possible unless they somehow got a hold of that member's password and logged in with it.
          Thank you Steve Machol

That's what I thought too, but since someone reported it I wanted to make sure that no such case had been reported before.

Thanks again

Comment

• Ido1128
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by InSite

Like ABlady mentioned. please allow others to learn without being harrassed with having to deal with smart ass remarks. That's what this place is here for....to learn.

I~

Comment

• Vile
              • Jul 2002
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Ido1128
              ...That's what this place is here for....to learn.
              Well said.
              Webmaster / Administrator
              www.MegaGames.com
              www.MGForums.com

Comment

• banjolawyer
                • Aug 2002

Actually I have received emails from users saying exactly the same thing, and I have no idea why it is happening.

I have no relationship to ABLady and InSite should learn to keep mouth shut if nothing better to offer.

I came across this thread searching for a solution to the problem reported.

Comment

• InSite
                  • Aug 2002

Have you people not realised that the original post in this thread was edited by ABLady AFTER I made my comment?

I realise I was a little sarcastic, and I apologise, but really - it would have had to have been a pretty vague and idiotic post to make me comment like that.

I'll try and refrain from laughing at all the people who are currently asking how they can upgrade VB3 when it is released.

Comment

• banjolawyer
                    • Aug 2002

I continue to have two users tell me that they can view each others private messages.

I have been able to determine that they are going through the same router. Looking at their logged ip addresses the only difference is the last number:
                    one ends in .3 and the other ends in .4

However, they have different usernames and different passwords, so why would this happen?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Originally posted by banjolawyer
                      However, they have different usernames and different passwords, so why would this happen?
                      I doubt it is. What are their user settings for cookies and automatically logging in?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• banjolawyer
                        • Aug 2002

I doubt it is.
                        You doubt what is?

Uses cookies is set to "yes"

browse board with cookies was set to "yes" but I set them to "no" a few hours ago to see if it would make a diffrence for these 2 users, and asked them to let me know.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

You doubt what is?
                          I doubt it really happened, i.e., two users reading each others PMs without being logged in through the same IP or using each other's passwords. In my 1-1/2 years of providing vB support I have yet to see any verifiable proof that this has ever happenned. I suppose there's a first time for everything but so far no one has been able to provide any evidence of this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• banjolawyer
                            • Aug 2002

Do you require verifiable proof every time someone reports a bug?

Is that the way support works here?

Here's your second reported case. ABLady started this thread based on what two of her users we're telling her.

And I have no reason to doubt these two users. My site is a high school alumni site, and these two users graduated about 7 years apart from each other, and didn't know each other. They now work for the same county school system, although for two different schools in different locations. They have different usernames and never knew each others passwords. They were equally upset about learning of the problem.

I think there is a flaw in the product, although it may only occur in rare circumstances which no one has been able to pinpoint yet.

I understand you don't have an answer for this. However, are you interested in getting to the bottom of it, or would you prefer to continue doubting that the truth is being told?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

Do you require verifiable proof every time someone reports a bug?

Is that the way support works here?
                              Sorry but you're reading a lot more into this than was intended. I merely said that I have never seen this alleged 'bug' supported by any evidence.

Do we require 'verifialbe proof'? Well we at least need to be able to either see or duplicate a problem before we will categorize it as a bug. Sorry if this upsets you, but we need a little more to go on then what you've provided.

Please let us know what you think this flaw is and how it operates. The Developers have spent a large amount of their time trying to make sure things like this don't happen and they will need at least some evidence and/or theoretical basis for this flaw before I can get them the look more closely at it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...