Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CyberMoa
    • Jul 2002

WTF ... this is just freaking weird

Been up six days (and once again thanks to the guys at vbulletin, www.nxsupport.com and nxserve) ... at least twice a day we get some one coming in on the same IP, non-member who tries to add people to his/her ignore list .. which of course they don't have.

This has to be the most strange behaviour l have ever seen, and l've been a staff member at boards for over 5 years now...

Anyone know what this person's game is?
  • bigmattyh
    • Apr 2001

Could be a bot.
    iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• SaintDog
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.5.x

As stated above, it is probably a bot (google, yahoo, altavista, ect; one of them I am sure), I have had them raid both vBulletinTemplates and ViperHost trying to access everything, although they fail to do so, they still are persistant in trying .

- SaintDog

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

If you really don't like it you can add a robots.txt file to your site's root to exclude certain user-agents and URLs.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• CyberMoa
          • Jul 2002

Hmmm ... could be a bot, surely a human wouldn't be this stupid... next time it shows will follow the connection and see what turns up at the other end...

Comment

• Boothie
            • Aug 2002

ugh, theres this one IP addy thats ALWAYS on my vB, and they have like 12 windows open. Once it said "moderating duties". And they add people to ignore list, view user CP, ect. The weird thing is, Ive seen it say Registering... three times, but they never finish. I mean, whats that about?

Comment

• CyberMoa
              • Jul 2002

Just plain weird Boothie ... maybe some one has a bad connection or something.

Have been on a number of sites where they have dozens of people who register, never activate their accounts, and continually hit the ignore option.

Think a few ppl above are correct, some sort of bot in operation. Will post back when l track our one down, one of the guys at my work is going to use his bloodhound to do it... very effective little beastie

Even as l posted that one our problem has been cleared up, new member was trying to add a couple of people to his ignore list before coming on board, claims he tried registering a few times but had problems with firewall software..... *cough*newbie*cough*
              Last edited by CyberMoa; Fri 30 Aug '02, 11:52pm.

Comment

• bigmattyh
                • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Boothie
                ugh, theres this one IP addy thats ALWAYS on my vB, and they have like 12 windows open. Once it said "moderating duties". And they add people to ignore list, view user CP, ect. The weird thing is, Ive seen it say Registering... three times, but they never finish. I mean, whats that about?
                Again... BOTS.

They follow your links. Sometimes they do it in swarms, with 5 or 6 on your site at a time.
                iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• Boothie
                  • Aug 2002

UGH. Can you guys tell me how to get rid of them? Is it this Robots.txt thing you guys are talking about?

Why are they there anyways? Thats gay

Comment

• filburt1
                    • Feb 2002

They could be search engine bots a la Googlebot indexing your site and eventually bringing in more hits. That certaintly isn't gay, that can be quite financially beneficial if you catch my drift.

But if you don't like hits, check out robots.txt here: http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Dec 2000

Boothie,

Can you please go to http://www.vbulletin.com/members/forums.php and enter your username, you will need your customer number and password to access this page.

Thanks
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Boothie
                        • Aug 2002

I already did that last night, PPN

Yeah I get your point... more hits means more members Thanks guys.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                          • Dec 2000

Your not showing up as licensed, can you pm me your customer number and I'll check it.
                          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                            • Dec 2000

There sorted, you can now access the troubleshooting forums and post in some places that were previously restricted.
                            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Odil
                              • Jun 2002

It's sriously a bot. If I do a search on google for my board, one of the things that comes up is "Click here to register" plus some other nonsense links. Bots do that all the time.

Odil

Originally posted by CyberMoa
                              Just plain weird Boothie ... maybe some one has a bad connection or something.

Have been on a number of sites where they have dozens of people who register, never activate their accounts, and continually hit the ignore option.

Think a few ppl above are correct, some sort of bot in operation. Will post back when l track our one down, one of the guys at my work is going to use his bloodhound to do it... very effective little beastie

Even as l posted that one our problem has been cleared up, new member was trying to add a couple of people to his ignore list before coming on board, claims he tried registering a few times but had problems with firewall software..... *cough*newbie*cough*

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...