X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shashi
    • Sep 2000

Sickeing vB vs UBB posts

okay
    i am sick of these innocent posters who say vB is no good and UBB is great or some other bb is great. and then they harp on some non-issue

so let me try to put a lid on this very stupid way of getting attention. yes, i say it again it is a very stupid way of getting attention.

here is a common scenario. the people who post the so called 'vB is no good' posts have posted only less than 10 posts in their life. have just joined the forum to bad mouth vB. they should not be answered at all. it just serves their purpose.

if anyone really plans to buy a good board, they will go to the features page of THAT board, and not to literally spamming/flaming posts on that board about that board!!

e.g. if i were to make any decision about vB based on Azkikr's comments i would be a big stupid idiot!

now for some facts:

how to decide what is better vB or UBB or in general when looking for a BB?

1. database driven stuff is always more flexible, versatile, faster unless the developers screw up royally. flatfiles are NOT the ay to go if you are expecting any serious kind of traffic. if this were not true, we would still have the flat files of the 70's main frames and not oracle, sybase, informaix, blah blah blah

2. php module is much smaller than perl module. that is because php is a perl subset and a few extras created ONLY for web use, so anything in perl that was not useful for web has been discarded, so the oevrall size of the module is smaller.

php (just like jsp and asp) is the height of SSI and makes cgi useless, since now you can have all your server side execution IN the html itself. so you have less number of files to bother with. you can forget all about cgi!! and with zend php4 roars. it has an incredible user base already in its 3-4 years of existence.

3. if you don't have no money for your own server, your own paid web site, and are working on goecities or freehosting kind of ISP, hey you don't even need UBB, just use email for your forums.

4. if you expect a few users on your site, then yes $160 is big amount, then why are you wasting your and my time posting long posts about how bad this product is. at least have the common sense to bad mouth it somewhere else, where people have not yet bought the product.

anyone who has bought vB full version is not going to change forums, not to a non-database non-php one at least!!

5. web based admin capabilities are good thing.

6. the reason vB is similar to UBB is that they chose to be similar (this is all my guess though) so that transition from UBB will be seamless to the end user.

and the beauty is that because vB looks and behaves like UBB ( to the end user) they don't know what happened, but for the admin, server etc things become better.

but once again to appreciate einstien's theory you need very very high velocities. at macro level newton works fine!

and now for the other side. the only things that i think are missing for vB that are available in some other and are useful is 'file upload', 'user belong to multiple groups' and a few others which i guess are already addresses in v 2.0

so anti-vB posters with single digit posts to your credit, get a life or sell your computer for junk for good.

ps: i am not employed by jelsoft, nor do i have any good or bad feeling for them, nor are the views in here endorsed by anyone.

pps: and guys, this DOESNOT effect potential serious buyers, they don't go for blatant crap like that.
  • JimF
    • May 2000

[quote]nor are the views in here endorsed by anyone.[/quote]

As a customerof vBulletin, I hereby endorse these views.

-jim

Comment

• Azkikr
      • Dec 2000

I did not join the board to flame the vbulletin board. That is hardly the case.

I simply replied to a topic, voiced my opinion, and you all are acting like children, flaming me for choosing the UBB over the vb.

Gimme a break. I already stated my site was not HUGE, thus I didn't need something else.

I was in no way, trying to get users to stop using the vb, and go back to the ubb. If that is how you took my comments, then that is something you need to deal with.

As for your comment about me being a user that only has 10 posts, well what does that really matter how many posts a person has?

I am sure I have more than 10 here, and definately more than 10 on other boards, but I can honestly say that on other boards, people respect other opinions, and in fact voice their own.

I wasn't telling people that the vb was bad, I said I FOUND IT BAD!!

There are a billion other posts here that say it is so great. How does my ONE post, make customers think OMG.. Azkikr doesn't like it, so I better go with something else.

Grow up, I was looking for feedback, and I got some. I got little 15 yr old idiots, telling me that I am an idiot for not choosing a vb over a ubb. Can you not see how stupid you actually look?

How are my posts harmful? I replied to a topic, I didn't create that one. I created one about getting a server to try the vb. Did you happen to look at the one? No.. you didn't.

You didn't think or read before talking.

What is the normal limit of posts before one gets taken seriously? 50? I see you only have 35, so therefore, I will simply catagorize what you said under my idiots list.

Some people here actually gave me great feed back, and hense I am looking at setting up a server to try it on.

As for your comment:

i am sick of these innocent posters who say vB is no good and UBB is great or some other bb is great. and then they harp on some non-issue.

How was mine a non-issue? How was I harping? When did I ever slam the vb? I said I prefered anther system. You DO realize there are other bbs' out there right?

As I said before grow up. Congratulations, you just created another one of the threads you hate to read :)

Comment

• Me2Be
        Lady Moderator
        • Jun 2000

UBB is good for some people, Vb is good for other people --

CAN WE END THIS NOW! It's a waste of bandwidth!

Comment

• werehere
          • Apr 2000

I am going to close this thread.
          We're Here Forums!
          [email protected]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...