X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssantos
    • Jul 2001

Portuguese translation

I all,

I've posted a message around 2 months ago about being able to make the portuguese translation (as I needed it) of vbulletin.

I recieved an answer from one of the authors telling me to address another author about that. I did that and recieved no answer as of yet.

Now, I have the translation complete, and judging by the interrest of the portuguese community where i'm included, (ex: PLUG - stands for portuguese linux users group), if i post those needed files, there should be quite a dozen of portuguese-speaking sites interrested in acquiring vbulletin.

This is exactly what i've addressed in my email to that "another author". I and respectivily, my company, have helped to adapt a product so that it meets it's needs, but at the same time it could reach a broader market, since before there was no portuguese languange in the code so, to the loss of us, we had to buy a vbulletin license, make the translation(ok, but that costs us money) and "finito", there.

Now through the portuguese community, (mainly Brazil, Portugal and some located sites in the US), we have been requested the code.

As we know that by giving the portuguese language files, we would help to increase the sells of a product of some persons that did not have the "simplicity" to answer us would give them more market to sell to. Having us spend the money to buy the license(OK) and translate(!!!) the product.

We've been doing this kind of work (translations) with other softwares but this situation has never happened.

I know that sooner or later another translation will be available, but either way i'd like my statement to be as is, this is the way that we like to work, honest, never under-estimating anyone.

My final question/assumption if not replied is:

Are you open to foreign contribution for real? Or are you making the "i'm here and i won't move" dance?
  • MaiaC
    • Oct 2001

bump...bla

i got same opinion

i just end to spend 17.000 esc (=85$), to find out that there is NO portuguese translation version..bla...shame

YABB,what i used untill now, and btw is FREE FOR LIFE , has all language's suport..

there are more than 300.000.000 in this world speaking portuguese... Brasil,Portugal and half of African continent
    Last edited by MaiaC; Wed 10 Oct '01, 7:28pm.

Comment

• Enigma
      • Mar 2001

don't forget Australia

Comment

• MaiaC
        • Oct 2001

I don't know too much about php , and i am not intended to learn it just for using with vb,and for developing this project,...it is bad deal...as i am paying for it.
        but however i can help you in corect translation into
        portuguese,yugoslav and croatian language's
        just send me what to translate,and i will do...
        than somebody else could put all that into correct file..

regards

Comment

• ssantos
          • Jul 2001

Portuguese transalation et all

As I stated in my first post, I have finished my translation to portuguese. Due to lack of feedback from vbulletin developers I am reluctant to make it available to the whole public.

Please do not take this as a personal position. I am payed to do my job, my company bought vbulletin, and I was payed to make the translation. I can not personally take any advantage of publishing the work to the public.

If there were any reaction of the vbulletin team, my company would be willing to distribute the code.

My words to those that need translations ASAP, email me, I can help telling you what is needed to change, but always keep in mind that an original registered version of vbulletin is required. (My current portuguese template and .php changes are for version 2.0.3)

I regret that no official word from vbulletin developers has been posted on this...

Anyway, we're always waiting for a word.

Best regards,
          Sérgio Santos
          Systems Administrator,
          Netlandia, Lda
          [email protected]

Comment

• WizyWyg
            • Jul 2001

All I can say is contact Vbulletin using the support (do not email them directly that 's why there is a support function)

Due to the illness of some employees, they may have not been able to get to to get an answer.

Translating software to another language is a difficult task, though it may be your native language. ITS not the developer's native language. (I had to translate the board to Japanese and in the Japanese charactert set(s), but its not all that difficult, if you know where to edit).

You could have "saved" yourself time and money if you tried out vbulletin first (the Vbulletin lite) to see if there was support for your language. That way, you wouldn't be worried right now.

Though IF YOu do have something or translated, I suggest just sharing it. It may catch the attention of the dvelopers (POST it in the Suggestions forum not here)
            There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

• ssantos
              • Jul 2001

Originally posted by WizyWyg
              All I can say is contact Vbulletin using the support (do not email them directly that 's why there is a support function)
              I've done that twice

Though IF YOu do have something or translated, I suggest just sharing it. It may catch the attention of the dvelopers (POST it in the Suggestions forum not here)
              Fortunately or not, I don't need to catch anyones attention, I just did one of my assigned tasks, and thought I was helping to broaden an excelent software market and maybe I was expecting to much when waiting for a reply/reaction from vbulletin developers.

My 2 cents.
              Last edited by ssantos; Wed 17 Oct '01, 7:51pm.

Comment

• WizyWyg
                • Jul 2001

Did you use the support section of the Website? Its quite different then just emailing the employees. At least YOU will get a ticket and your "suggestiosn" will be documented.

As for not posting, its not going to help anyone if you dont speak up in the SUGGESTIONS forum.

SUGGEST for a portuguese translation of the sofware. THIs forum is to address Templates > whereas Translation would be on the software side. As can be seen by this thread, many are interested in what you have done so far, and maybe THEY Will add to it??

We are community here, WE help one another. That's why these forums were made.
                There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

• MaiaC
                  • Oct 2001

nice work ssantos,

can you share it with us?

(with or without developers attention)

Comment

• ssantos
                    • Jul 2001

One last word

Wy,

I understood your point in the first message, and I do consider upper case words as shouting, and I think that it is a bit rude.

I've never posted anything unpolitely, I stated my situation as is, I'm in this "world" a decade now, I tried to state my position in a professional and polite manner. Maybe you didn't understand my point/position.

People needing the translation:
                    Contact me, and give me some time. I will gather the number of people interrested and talk with my boss to let me distribute the style file
                    I have a very good relationship at my work, and I don't want to do this without their knowledge.

Sérgio

Update
                    I just recieved an answer, I will distribute the style file, but I can't send the .php files. If I am allowed, I'll state what files need modification, i'm waiting an answer on this.
                    Don't wait to get the file now, I am not at work, I don't have the file with me.
                    Last edited by ssantos; Thu 18 Oct '01, 6:21pm.

Comment

• WizyWyg
                      • Jul 2001

Im sorry if you feel that I was shouting, but that is just the way I type (just like grammatical and spelling errors, you look beyond it and try to understand what is being said).

THIS IS YELLING (which I dont do).

THIS is just emphasizing. Its just easier that way to get the message across.

Comment

• MaiaC
                        • Oct 2001

Sérgio,

uma sugestão:

faz o upload de ficheiro aqui,como todos outros fazem
                        bem ou mal isto devia ser o sitio de ajuda para todos nos..
                        cumprimentos

Comment

• sla
                          • Sep 2001

Se você pudesse colocar seu arquivo aqui para download seria muito bom Sérgio.

Comment

• ssantos
                            • Jul 2001

File

Contem com o ficheiro na Segunda-Feira, da parte da tarde (GMT).

A tradução está acabada de "fresco", pode haver pequenas gafes, mas à medida que as descobrir, corrijo e aviso.

Por isto é que eu pedi que o pessoal interessado me enviasse um email directamente, para no futuro, caso haja "updates" eu vos envie directamente a informação.

Ao invés de andar aqui a postar cada novo ficheiro, para mim tanto faz, mas seria mais cómodo para vocês, não acham?.

Cumps
                            Sérgio

Comment

• sla
                              • Sep 2001

Veleu Sérgio, estou aqui esperando ja heheheheheheheh.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...