Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ey143
    • Jun 2000

script to check if php is installed?

Can someone please tell me if there is a test script independent of this BB, that enables me to check if my host server has php installed.

He keeps telling me it is, but my full version of vB during installation says that it is not, and I have already checked the other configs.

Thx.

• Mike Sullivan
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.6.x

Download the full, non-upgrade version and check the extras directory.

Comment

• ey143
      • Jun 2000

I copied the extras folder to my hosting service, and ran the index.html file, but it comes back with "you are being redirected to the correct page" and then another page comes up with "file not found"?

Comment

• JimF
        • May 2000

Have you tried running a phpinfo script?

Put the following into a file named phpinfo.php:

<?php
        phpinfo();
        ?>

Then run the phpinfo file in your browser, and if it is installed, it should tell you lots of neat things. If it's not installed, it won't do anything but show you the code inside the file.

-jim

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.6.x

Run phptest.php (<-- I think it's called that)

Comment

• ey143
            • Jun 2000

Jim F,

I created a file as you said, with those 3 lines and saved it as phpinfo.php and transferred it across to my web space as an ascii file. When I try and load the file in the browser, rather than displaying it, it asks whether I want to save the file, as if it were a download file?

Ed,

the phptest.php file returns the following;

PHP is not installed correctly - Please contact your system administrator.

- Is this a definitive answer, I mean, is there a chance I could have done something else wrong? I dont see how, because all I have done is add a mySQL database via the hosting provider's control panel. Then I simply tried to install the full vB version, and in this case, the extras folder. All done in Ascii mode or binary for images.

Thx.

Comment

• JimF
              • May 2000

If it wanted you to download the file when you ran it in your browser, you probably don't have php installed. I would try it again, but rename it to a .php3 extension. If that doesn't work, talk to your host and find out the php version number and whatnot. Out of curiosity, who is your IPP?

-jim

Comment

• ey143
                • Jun 2000

Jim, good result.

I saved the existing file as a *.php3 file, and it seems to load all the php stats and info for my domain.

What does that suggest, that php is installed?
                What now for the installation of vB full?

...a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Thx again.

Comment

• ey143
                  • Jun 2000

Oh yeah, the PHP Version is 3.0.12

The host, is [url]http://www.linuxwebhost.com[/url]

For 12 months payment totalling approx $75, I get 50 megs space 3 gig bandwith and a lot more, and for an extra $2 a month all this can be doubled i.e. 100 megs space.

I have one domain already with someone called jumpline.com who I think are resellers from these linuxwebhost.com people, I could be wrong though.

The good thing about this new host though, is that if I wanted to take out another hosting plan for another domain, I get 50% off, so only $35 a year for another 50 megs.

What do you think?

Comment

• ey143
                    • Jun 2000

It now seems that if I rename the phptest.php file to phptest.php3, the file works and it says php IS installed properly.

Does this now mean I have to go and change "every" single php file to php3? That will take me ages!

I dont understand why it cannot understand php and php3?

Comment

• JimF
                      • May 2000

Do a search on the forums here - there is a way to use an .htaccess file to parse the .php extensions as .php3. It's really easy, just like an add handler or something like that. Give that a go, or I guess you'll have to rename them all by hand :(.

-jim

Comment

• George L
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • May 2000
                        • 3.8.x

to make .php files work when .php3 already work in your case do what i did and what jim said

create a .htaccess file and add this to it

AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php
                        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• ey143
                          • Jun 2000

What is the significance of the number 3 after *.php?
                          And why is there not one standard, either *.php or *.php3, this is all very confusing.

Also, I thought htaccess was for passwords, what does htaccess stand for and what is its purpose?

Thx.

Comment

• ey143
                            • Jun 2000

I've ended or ending up renaming all the extension one my one as I dont know the other methods mentioned here.

Does it matter if they are renamed in WS_FTP in ascii or binary mode? I mean, I'm not actually transferring anything, so it should be ok if renamed in binary right?

Also, what about references to other php files "within" those files? I mean, if it tells the server to look at xxx.php and I have renamed xxx.php to xxx.php3, will this not create more problems?

Comment

• ey143
                              • Jun 2000

I've renamed them all one by one, but as I thought, it still does not work because there is reference to php extensions within the file codes.

What now?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...