Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dpakman91
    • Dec 2003

attachment problem

alright, when attaching a 1 meg zip file (max zip file set to 1,500,000 bytes), i get sql error 1153, something aobut max_packet_size....i don't haev the exact error becuase it crashed my browser.

i saw one other thread about this, but couldn't actually see a solution in it.

can anyone help me with this?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

In addition to the vB settings, the allowed size of the attachments depends on the PHP and MySQL configuration. You may need to check and changechange the upload size for both PHP and for MySQL. Note, you'll need to have root access to the server to do this (or have your host do it.) Make these changes to php.ini:

upload_max_filesize = xM

..and my.cnf

set-variable=max_allowed_packet=xM

Change it to the size ('x') you want in Megabytes. Restart the webserver and MySQL after making these changes.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dpakman91
      • Dec 2003

alright, my host went ahead and did that, and i am still having a problem. he also tested it himself, and he gets the sql error on my board, but he tried an invision board and it works fine.

any other thoughts for what can be done?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

can you paste the sql error here?

Comment

• dpakman91
          • Dec 2003

i actually can't because it crashed my browser, but it does say:

sql error number 1153, and it says a packet bigger than the max_allowed_packet was tried to be uploaded.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by dpakman91
            sql error number 1153, and it says a packet bigger than the max_allowed_packet was tried to be uploaded.
            This means that the host did not change the max_allowed_packet high enough or at all.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dpakman91
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              This means that the host did not change the max_allowed_packet high enough or at all.
              he told me he did change it however, and he went ahead and tried to upload the same file with invision, and it worked fine. he also gave me a username and pw to try it on invision, and it did work. this is why we at least thought we could deduce it was a vb problem.

Comment

• eMax
                • Feb 2004

Steve,

This is dpakman91 web hosting admin. I have changed the upload_max_filesize to 6mb.

The point here is he was trying to upload a 1.5MB attachment and as anyone knows the standard is 2mb on Linix based systems so that should have never effected him.

Secondly it was changed in both /usr/lib/php.ini and /etc/php.ini and web server and MySQl was restarted. I tested it on my vB board and got the same errors he got. (His account is located on a different server). On the server he is located on I tested this with invision which you can view the test here:

As you can see the attachments had no issues. What other ideas do you have Steve?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Originally posted by eMax
                  Secondly it was changed in both /usr/lib/php.ini and /etc/php.ini and web server and MySQl was restarted.
                  The max_allowed_packet variable is set in my.cnf, not php.ini.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• eMax
                    • Feb 2004

*Ashamed* admin walks away with head down.

Thanks Steve. Issue resolved.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

No problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Chris Graham
                        • Aug 2004

I've just received the error too. Whilst it is quite understandable that it would occur, it is far from nice it outputting the whole file into my browsers html output, then e-mailing it to me.
                        >> Developer of the ocPortal website construction engine

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...