moving to a new server, how to move my database?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivibe
    • Jul 2003

moving to a new server, how to move my database?

Hello all, I've got vBulletin Version 3.0.0 Beta 5 installed on the server at ivibe2.com and i'm trying to move it to ivibe.com/forum on a different server, which i did, so now i have 3.0.0 RC4 posted on the other server. The problem is i can backup my database and i get a 5 meg local file. How do I import this to my replica board? You'd think there'd be an import option that restores a backup, but there is not.

Also, I'm having difficulty setting the default style, any clues there? I only have two styles, the standard and my own.

Thanks!
  • shorty
    • Jun 2003
    • 3.5.x

Just checking this clearly, so it makes sense to me

You have a beta5 installation and you want to move it.. and use rc4 files?

Comment

• ivibe
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by shorty
      Just checking this clearly, so it makes sense to me

You have a beta5 installation and you want to move it.. and use rc4 files?
      well i have v3 beta 5 installed on one server, and i'm moving to another server with v4 RC4. i backed up my database, just want to import it, i think i have the instructions... how do i set a given style to the default? any ideas?

Comment

• shorty
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ivibe
        well i have v3 beta 5 installed on one server, and i'm moving to another server with v4 RC4. i backed up my database, just want to import it, i think i have the instructions... how do i set a given style to the default? any ideas?
        It's a little more complicated that.

Lets get some more base information, so I give you the right answers here.

Does the RC4 have a database already running? (including members, posts and threads etc..)

Your beta5 db structure won't work properly with RC4, it needs the upgrade done to the db structure before it can be used.

I take it, that you are using the vbulletin backup in the admin CP??

Comment

• ivibe
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by shorty
          It's a little more complicated that.

Lets get some more base information, so I give you the right answers here.

Does the RC4 have a database already running? (including members, posts and threads etc..)

Your beta5 db structure won't work properly with RC4, it needs the upgrade done to the db structure before it can be used.

I take it, that you are using the vbulletin backup in the admin CP??
          yes that is correct, I used the backup in the admin CP. i have a local file on my hard drive called "vbulletin.sql"

So now what??? Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

You really shouldnt use the ACP to make backups, you should request for your host to either make a backup and have it avaible for you via SSH/Telnet, OR Make the backup via SSH/Telnet your self. as the ACP's backup tool doesnt work with large databases and some servers will time out before the database is complete.

Comment

• ivibe
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Faranth
              You really shouldnt use the ACP to make backups, you should request for your host to either make a backup and have it avaible for you via SSH/Telnet, OR Make the backup via SSH/Telnet your self. as the ACP's backup tool doesnt work with large databases and some servers will time out before the database is complete.

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
              Totally understood, I'm with you there, that's one of the reason's we're moving servers. I can indeed take care of that. But now that i've got the v3 b5 backup SQL file (total only 3,135 kbytes), what to do? I want to install it on a clean, new v3 RC4 version which is waiting for it.

The original v3 b5 forum is at

The new v3 RC4 forum is at

would it be easier just to stay with v3 B5 and not go to RC4 ? Then i still need to move the database... Any ideas?

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

If you want a "fresh start" and just want to have no old data, theres no reason to move the database.

If you want to keep your old data, youll need to move your database.

Once you move the database youll need to either upload the default vBulletin 3 beta 5 files and go with them, or upgrade to RC4.

You cannot import into an exsisting database however.

Comment

• ivibe
                  • Jul 2003

If you want a "fresh start" and just want to have no old data, theres no reason to move the database.

If you want to keep your old data, youll need to move your database.

Once you move the database youll need to either upload the default vBulletin 3 beta 5 files and go with them, or upgrade to RC4.

You cannot import into an exsisting database however.

Well i want the new board to include all the old data. Let's assume i move the old database to the new server. And, let's assume i delete the installed RC4 files and install r3b5 files like my old one, is it worth then upgrading to RC4 or should i wait until the release is final?

Are you ultimately saying that reinstalling the r3b5 will incorporated the moved database as long as my config.php file has the right settings?

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Upgrading now or to final will be about the same ammount of work.

If you want to move and upgrade the process looks like this

backup database, download database, upload database and new RC4 files, edit config.php, run upgrade.php.

Comment

• ivibe
                      • Jul 2003

Upgrading now or to final will be about the same ammount of work.

If you want to move and upgrade the process looks like this

backup database, download database, upload database and new RC4 files, edit config.php, run upgrade.php.

Once i go to RC4, and then you guys go final, would i just upload the final vb files and run upgrade.php again?

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ivibe
                        Once i go to RC4, and then you guys go final, would i just upload the final vb files and run upgrade.php again?
                        Yep

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...