Moving Servers.....just a little harder...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmy Kane
    • Dec 2003

Moving Servers.....just a little harder...

Right...bare with me.
    We (www.muse.mu) are currently hosted on a dedicated server with Poptel. We are moving onto one of Warners servers where we have the slight problem.
    We have NO SSH/telnet access, limited phpmyadmin (the upload feature is disabled due to problems with the warnner music group firewalls) and ftp access. Our database is in the 200 meg range and running 2.3.4.

Is there ANY possible way to import the current database taking into account these problems as Tom Kirk (bands manager) truely would like the current database saved and transfered to the Warner server and then upgraded to vB3 when its gold.

Also the site designers had problems with their database, as it was only small (2meg) they carried out the querys themselves.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I would strongly recommend against moving to a host that offers no telnet/ssh and has disabled uploads in phpMyAdmin. Believe me, uyou will have nothing but trouble with a hosting service like this. Nonetheless if you absolutely must use them then your only option is to ask them to restore the db backup for you.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
      • Dec 2003

Yea, as i understand Warner want the site on their servers so they have more control. Plus the Poptel server struggles quite a bit with the loads (80 users online at anyone time + chat + site) and the 1 year contract is running out. We are waiting for some responce frm Toffeeapple (designers) but i think warners tech people don't want to help.

I should think it would be best to start fresh using vB3 gold. just got to convince Tom...

Comment

• Grover
        • May 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Jimmy Kane
        Right...bare with me.
        We have NO SSH/telnet access Thanks
        You haven't got the possibility to let them give you limited Telnet Access? I have moved to a new hostingcompany myself recently and they offered me NO direct shell access to SSH. I had the same problem as you.

My previous provider did, so I was able to make backups and imports myself. My new hostingprovider has offered me a way to accomplish these same tasks, although I haven't got direct access anymore: they've adapted my client shell script, so I get an option-menu when I login into SSH/Telnet. I've instructed them on the options I wanted and now I can do everything through this menu.

Good Luck!
        How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Grover
          You haven't got the possibility to let them give you limited Telnet Access? I have moved to a new hostingcompany myself recently and they offered me NO direct shell access to SSH. I had the same problem as you.

My previous provider did, so I was able to make backups and imports myself. My new hostingprovider has offered me a way to accomplish these same tasks, although I haven't got direct access anymore: they've adapted my client shell script, so I get an option-menu when I login into SSH/Telnet. I've instructed them on the options I wanted and now I can do everything through this menu.

Good Luck!
          This is AOL Time Warner, to be honest, i dont think we can ask/tell them to give us anything. but thats a nice idea, ill talk o the other admin, and we will get in touch with them.

thanks for your time

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

If you do this then it sounds you will be running your forums without the possiblity of making or restoring database backups. This could result in you losing everything and having to start over. Good luck!
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
              • Dec 2003

Thank you. That is the problem. Warners...incompatance will cost us dearly if their servers mess our DB up. I will ask the other admin to get intouch with toffeeapple so they in turn can ask warner if the are able to restore our backup without our help. shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Grover
                • May 2001
                • 3.8.x

This is AOL Time Warner, to be honest, i dont think we can ask/tell them to give us anything. but thats a nice idea, ill talk o the other admin, and we will get in touch with them.

thanks for your time
                I hope that you can work something out. I myself can backup and restore my 2 databases with no problem using this shell script they've installed for me.

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Grover
                  I hope that you can work something out. I myself can backup and restore my 2 databases with no problem using this shell script they've installed for me.
                  From a PM sent to me by the other admin:

Warner Server...
                  Just been given the database details for the warner server...
                  It's not looking good.

Firstly, the servers are load balanced, meaning I think that the information is stored all over the place, so not one server can be set as the database server, which will mean we can't use the "local host" thing, so god knows what we can do there.

Secondly, I don't think TA can get FTP access to download the sql databsses, meaning we have to some how download 200mb odd of DB, then upload it all via phpmyadmin.

we then found out about the inability to upload. i really am stuck for ideas unless we can ask Warner to do it...

Comment

• Grover
                    • May 2001
                    • 3.8.x

From a PM sent to me by the other admin:

Warner Server...
                    Just been given the database details for the warner server...
                    It's not looking good.

Firstly, the servers are load balanced, meaning I think that the information is stored all over the place, so not one server can be set as the database server, which will mean we can't use the "local host" thing, so god knows what we can do there.

Secondly, I don't think TA can get FTP access to download the sql databsses, meaning we have to some how download 200mb odd of DB, then upload it all via phpmyadmin.

we then found out about the inability to upload. i really am stuck for ideas unless we can ask Warner to do it...
                    Alright. You have one option left : switch (to a better host)!

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
                      • Dec 2003

We can't. Muse are on East West which is owned by Warner music group. Our current server hosted by Poptel has almost ran out, as it was paid for a year. The band don't wanna pay another £5k a year, so they are moving it onto warners servers too cut costs and, on the plus side, give us Unlimited capacity which we currently dont have. although it would be a nice idea to keep the current server as a DB only one, im not sure they want to pay for it.

thanks for the help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...