• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • good2laugh
    • Jul 2002
    • 3.5.x

footer copyright text

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.0 Gamma
    Copyright ©2000 - 2003, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

How do I remove the words powered by? It suggests you are supplying the board.

Also - the content of the board belongs to my site and users not Jelsoft - I have no problem having a link to vbulletin in fact I am quite happy to - just I'm not happy with this wording. How can I adjust this to more suitable wording but without falling foul of terms etc. I own the licence but can't afford the branding free version.

I'd rather have something like V Bulletin Software V3 Gamma created by and copyright of Jelsoft Enterprises ltd (not really sure on the words) just that I do want to add that content is copyright of the site yadda yadda (not that it stops people nicking it but ya know lol)

I also believe I have an affiliate code which I might as well turn part of that copyright into a link - PLUS - I'd like to have a link to my host because they also pay me for new customers etc kind of need these to pay hosting fees etc.

Finally - this footer copyright text - this is the only place I have to have reference to VBulletin right?

thanks for any help..

• Skinny
    • Sep 2003
    • 3.5.x

good2laugh, you can view the copyright info by going into:

Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager -> Phrase Type:Global

the varname you want to look for is 'powered_by_vbulletin'. Its around page 27.

Comment

• M4g!k
      • Jun 2003

or just do a search for 'powered by' i done that and edited it there!

Worked a charm!

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

The minimum copyright notice must read
        vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2003, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Anything less than that is against the license.

Comment

• good2laugh
          • Jul 2002
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by tubedogg
          The minimum copyright notice must read
          vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2003, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Anything less than that is against the license.
          Fine - I was NOT going against the stoopid licence - was merely asking. If I have to have that great lengthy tag then I should at least be able to change the font - also the content is NOT copyright to Jelsoft, only the software.

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

No one said you couldn't change the font. You asked if you could change the wording and I provided the minimum acceptable wording that is still within the bounds of the license.

Comment

• good2laugh
              • Jul 2002
              • 3.5.x

That free advertising or wording suggests Jelsoft own the content of my site too, which they do not.. And I'm not sure why it has to be on every single page including the admin panel - whose gonna see it in there for gawdsake! nuts! NM I'll make sure I include those words not sure what order but they'll be there somewhere....

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

You are allowed to have *additional* text with your copyright if you wish. That is not against the license.

Comment

• StevenTN
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by tubedogg
                  You are allowed to have *additional* text with your copyright if you wish. That is not against the license.
                  So theoretically, we can have the copyright text like this...

This No good vBulletin Software, Copyright © 2000-2003, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd (them bastards).

Not that I would actually put that on my forum, cuz a) I think vBulletin is the best (we have two licenses for two different forums), and b) you guys are not bastards.
                  Proud Admin of http://www.thrillnetwork.com/
                  Finally live with vB4... I will say it's a pain in the bucket compared to what we're used to working with (using free CMS software no less).
                  "If it doesn't fit, beat it with a hammer until it does"
                  - Jesse James, West Coast Choppers

Comment

• tubedogg
                    • Feb 2001

No that would not be allowed. You may have additional text with your copyright, but you may not rebrand vBulletin as some other software.

Comment

• M4g!k
                      • Jun 2003

take it from me...just leave it as it soddin is tbh.

Comment

• thehotweb
                        • Nov 2002

Why make this so complicated? There is this thing as common sense. If you do not want to make it looks like vB owns your content simply put in Forum powered by vBulletin or something similar, not that complicated. If you don't like it you shouldn't have agreed to the software agreement and just not use vB.
                        leftunderground.com - Progressive Message Board Open To Everyone

Comment

• Marc Smith
                          • Aug 2001
                          • 3.6.x

Mine reads:

Forum Software: vBulletin Version 3.0.0 Gamma
                          Copyright ©2000 - 2003, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

I don't mind the notice, particularly, but I am Sooooooo tired of seeing "Powered by" which it appears every piece of software claims these days - sorta like "Turbo" - totally over used, the word is practically useless as a descriptor.

I'm thinking of:

Forum Scripts by: vBulletin (©2000 - 2003, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.)

BTW - isn't there an 'unbranded' version which costs more? What are the restrictions on that?

[edit_add] I will say I'm relatively - well, proud isn't the word, but I want people to know what forums scripts I'm running so personally I want an acknowledgement. At the bottom of my pages I also have the Apache, MySQL, php, Linux and 'Made with a Mac' Apple logos because I want people to know what the site runs on.[/edit_add]
                          Last edited by Marc Smith; Sat 6 Dec '03, 3:14pm.

Comment

• tubedogg
                            • Feb 2001

There is an unbranded, or copyright removal, license for an additional cost. It allows you to remove the copyright notice from the vB footer template but you cannot rebrand the software with another name.

Comment

• Marc Smith
                              • Aug 2001
                              • 3.6.x

Is that the 'owned' version?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...