How do I effectively trace the IP address in the CP???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Copeland
    • May 2000

How do I effectively trace the IP address in the CP???

Sorry to bother you, but with over 11,000 forum members - I still can't understand how the IP Address can be traced in the Control Panel.

I am using Ver 2.2.6

This is what I am up against:

1) When I have my member's account up in the CP, I scroll down to the member's field titled "IP Address". I then copy that address (such as 68.10.234.105).

2) I then close out the member's account and click on the main CP option on the left side titled "IP Addresses"

3) In the IP Addresses box, there are three fields:

*IP Address:___________

*User Name:___________

*Depth of Search:_______

I usually paste in the IP Address (such as 68.10.234.105)

Then click on FIND.

But I don't get anything! Not even the one member's name.

Question:

What does the Depth of Search do for me? What happens if I type in 1,2 or 3 in that Depth of Search?

---------

Second Question:

If I return to the Member's account page, where the IP Address already says 68.10.234.105, and then go to the top of their account page and click on the option titled "View IP's for (Member's Name), I get the following error result:

"Warning: gethostbyaddr(): Address is not a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address in /home/ipiu/public_html/forums/admin/user.php on line 1283"
    What does that mean?

-----

I was watching CSI the other night, and they used an internet program to type in an IP address that spelled out the physical street address of where the IP Address originate from. Any idea where I might find that tool?

And any other internet tools?

-----

I'm trying to clean up our list.

David

DAVID COPELAND
    Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
    Celebrating 22 Years with VB
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

Heh, don't believe everything you see on TV.

Nailing IP addresses down to a street address is possible, but (absent a court order or an extremely egregarious breach of privacy on the part of the ISP) you will get the street address of the company who owns the IP address. In the case of any of AOL's IPs, the address you get will be in Dulles, VA everytime no matter where the user is actually located. Many of the big dial-up ISPs are the same. In the case of ISPs such as RoadRunner, whois for an IP is usually within a short distance from the actual customer's location, simply because each individual RoadRunner location gets X number of IPs and they are listed in the name and address of that location. Some other broadband ISPs, such as Armstrong Cable, do not work this way and you will see a Butler, PA address for all their IPs despite the fact I am in Ohio typing this message right now.

You can run WHOIS searches on IPs through www.samspade.org (look for the box with the button labeled IP Whois) but if it's from outside the US you may find you need to go to the actual website of the IP administrator for that region to do a WHOIS.

Regarding your original question, first thing I would suggest is upgrading to 2.3.2 to see if that fixes your issue.

Also regarding not finding any results for an IP, the IP search only looks at IPs logged when a user posts, not the IP captured during registration. Don't ask me why, but that's the way it works.

Comment

• David Copeland
      • May 2000

Originally posted by tubedogg
      Also regarding not finding any results for an IP, the IP search only looks at IPs logged when a user posts, not the IP captured during registration.
      Can you ask the VB team if they can include in the new VB Ver 3.0 a feature that includes the IP address of multiple registrations under the same IP??

This would be extremely helpful in stopping trolls.

-------

Can you explain to be what the Depth of Search does for me when I type in 1 or 2 or even 10?

Thanks,

David

DAVID COPELAND
      Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
      Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

• the Sandman
        • Jul 2003
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by David Copeland
        Can you ask the VB team if they can include in the new VB Ver 3.0 a feature that includes the IP address of multiple registrations under the same IP??

This would be extremely helpful in stopping trolls.

-------

Can you explain to be what the Depth of Search does for me when I type in 1 or 2 or even 10?

Thanks,

David
        Um, your only choices are 1 or 2. One level gets you the IP addresses for the user you're searching. Two levels will list the IP addresses for the user you're searching, plus for each IP address will list the other users who have used that IP address.
        The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
        Articles - Forum Review
        Interviews:
        KierScottJerryAndreasSteveWayneJakeFlorisLogicianErwin
        Paul M

Comment

• xShanex
          • Aug 2002

http://www.networldmap.com/TryIt.htm....htm&ipaddress=

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...