What is your vbulletin webserver running?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duke of Lions
    • Dec 2001

What is your vbulletin webserver running?

Hi guys,

I am planning on installing Debian on my computer, I have a licence for vbulletin which is running on a webserver. May I install vbulletin on my home webserver and host another domain on it? It's my home computer and I think that is possible.

Also, are there any vbulletin webservers running Debian "woody"? And do you think it is a good choice, (once I got it installed I mean )?
    Red Hat Linux
    68.97%
    Suse
    1.72%
    Slackware
    0.00%
    Mandrake
    0.00%
    Other Linux OS
    0.00%
    Debian
    6.90%
    FeeBSD / OpenBSD
    8.62%
    Unix
    5.17%
    Windows 2000 (advance) server
    1.72%
    Windows server 2003
    6.90%
    Please ReadThe****ingManual

• tgillespie
    • Dec 2002
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Duke of Lions
    Hi guys,

I am planning on installing Debian on my computer, I have a licence for vbulletin which is running on a webserver. May I install vbulletin on my home webserver and host another domain on it? It's my home computer and I think that is possible.

Also, are there any vbulletin webservers running Debian "woody"? And do you think it is a good choice, (once I got it installed I mean )?
    With one vBulletin lisence you are allowed to run one public and one private install. If your home webserver isn't public, then yes, you can install a second copy vBulletin.

Also, I'm pretty sure it will perform on debian. I have not used the OS in a few years, and even then I wasn't able to get familiar with it. I'm sure Wayne can give you a better answer.
    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Duke of Lions
      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by tgillespie
      With one vBulletin lisence you are allowed to run one public and one private install. If your home webserver isn't public, then yes, you can install a second copy vBulletin.

Also, I'm pretty sure it will perform on debian. I have not used the OS in a few years, and even then I wasn't able to get familiar with it. I'm sure Wayne can give you a better answer.

You mean I can't run a public website on my home computer with vbulletin?

I also think most people run Red Hat, altough I have heard Debian is more stable, if you use the stable version. Do you know of any sites running Debian and vBulletin?

Comment

• tgillespie
        • Dec 2002
        • 3.7.x

You can have one public forum and one private forum. If you already have another forum on the same lisence, your home server with vBulletin on it can not be used by the public. Basically, you can have a test copy running and a public copy running.

I do not know of any Debian/vBulletin combos ATM.

Comment

• tgillespie
          • Dec 2002
          • 3.7.x

Ok. Debain and vBulletin will work. I should of thought of this, but arn't Redhat and Debain built on the same kernal? Just packaged differently?

Anyways, I'm sure it will work, and once you get it running correctly, it should be a very solid server.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Hi guys,

No, you may not host another instance of vBulletin with your current license.

vBulletin will run fine under a Debian installation as long as Apache, MySQL and PHP are installed properly. vBulletin does not require any specific operating system. Technically speaking there is no difference between Redhat Linux or Debian Linux at the OS level.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tgillespie
              • Dec 2002
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              No, you may not host another instance of vBulletin with your current license.

vBulletin will run fine under a Debian installation as long as Apache, MySQL and PHP are installed properly. vBulletin does not require any specific operating system. Technically speaking there is no difference between Redhat Linux or Debian Linux at the OS level.
              Can't he run a test version and a public version?

Comment

• Duke of Lions
                • Dec 2001

Any more specs on Apache, MySQL and PHP?

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                vBulletin will run fine under a Debian installation as long as Apache, MySQL and PHP are installed properly.
                So, I guess you have Debian installed, if I maybe so free....
                What are your settings for Apache, MySQL and PHP?

I know it's a bit off topic, but...
                I really like the way Debian approaches things.....

Comment

• Game Wizards
                  • Jan 2003

My webserver runs Red Hat Linux, though the server I'm hosting my IRC on is running debian (http://irc.gamewizards.net:80)

Comment

• f-a_org
                    • Nov 2002

Debian is a very nice "Intermediate - Guru" os.
                    it's not for newbies, if you install debian
                    as your webserver you will need to know, alot about comand line commands, and admining.
                    My Web Site used to be hosted on rh, now theyre on unix.
                    can some one change my vote to unix, I clicked RH on accident.

Comment

• Duke of Lions
                      • Dec 2001

I think the port is wrong...

Originally posted by Game Wizards
                      My webserver runs Red Hat Linux, though the server I'm hosting my IRC on is running debian (http://irc.gamewizards.net:80)
                      I think you set up the wrong port....

Comment

• Mr. X
                        • May 2001

Yes he can, as long as the test version isnt public. He was asking if he could also make the home install public, which you cant do with one license.

Myself, my webhost uses Redhat. My test forum is based on Apache for Windows (XP). I'm installing Redhat 9 in a few days (got a fat 160gb HD so I finally have space for it) and I'll throw vB on that too along with my other scripts/sites, essentially mirroring what I have on XP, just in a Linux environment for good measure.
                        forums: pcfx.cc
                        gallery: here

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

He didn't ask if he could run a test version. I was answering the question he asked.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

So, I guess you have Debian installed, if I maybe so free....
                            What are your settings for Apache, MySQL and PHP?

I know it's a bit off topic, but...
                            I really like the way Debian approaches things.....
                            No I don't have Debian installed. I actually use Suse Linux at home and my current server is running Redhat Linux. However future servers will be running Suse Linux Professional in run level 3. However the distribution doesn't matter. I can guarantee this.

My settings for Apache, MySQL and PHP are a little too complex to list here and there are a lot of dependancies for my PHP installation. My suggestion to you is to simply install Apache from either apt-get or the source code, then compile and install php --with-mysql --with-gzip and go from there. MySQL is a separate server Deamon and installed by default on most Linux Distributions these days, the notable exception being Redhat which installs Postgre by default. However even Redhat includes RPM's for MySQL should you choose to install it.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• f-a_org
                              • Nov 2002

It seems some programs need every dependencie available to work.

im stuck because:
                              Suse F***s up my screen, and RH doesn't Burn CD's Right.

I burnt Mandrake in suse, and it gives me comrpession errors.
                              same as jamd,
                              so Im going to sneak and buy RH9 today hopefully, maybe !

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...