Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDesigns
    • Jul 2003

Adding mods... then upgrading?

I was just wondering, as I have zero experience with forums from the administrator point of view... with all the mods available, what are you to do when you upgrade!?

You'll lose everything!

How are you supposed to customize your board (apart from images) without running into BIG problems when upgrading???
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by SDesigns
    How are you supposed to customize your board (apart from images) without running into BIG problems when upgrading???
    There are 3 types of hacks:

1) File hacks. These cause the most problems when upgrading because you have to re-edit the new files.

2) Template modifications. These usually don't cause problems because there aren't usually many template changes between versions.

3) Database hacks. These cause problems sometimes... it's hard to predict.

Comment

• SDesigns
      • Jul 2003

Hmm... so I guess it is best to stick with the same version of vBulletin for a long time then if you've made changes eh?

Since my forum has not yet been set up, should I go for vB 2, vB 3 beta, or wait for vB 3 final? (Any idea when it is expected to be released?)

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Just keep track of the hacks you install. Make a log of each hack you install with links to their threads, a list of the files affected, etc.

I'm hesitant to recommend you start with vB3 just because it's still beta and we can't officially support it. But vB3 has a ton of great new features. Unfortunately we don't have any estimate on when vB3 will go final.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...