X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

we now have an idea of whats causing these memory errors.

When a query is run and its larger than the max packet size you'll get an SQL error which we pass in to a query function and then to halt function.

So the end result is the query is copied 3 times on an error resulting in a memory limit error rather than a SQL error.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• mtha
      • Oct 2002
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
      we now have an idea of whats causing these memory errors.

When a query is run and its larger than the max packet size you'll get an SQL error which we pass in to a query function and then to halt function.

So the end result is the query is copied 3 times on an error resulting in a memory limit error rather than a SQL error.
      Do you have any idea how to fix this yet?

I have this memory error too, when splitting a message with 940 posts. I mean, I can increse memory size, (hope it works), but should it be that way? or any other better way around, so that those who cant change memory size ((not everyone own a dedicated server) still can use vB smoothly.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 650034 bytes) in /home/virtual/site1/fst/home/forums/public_html/includes/functions_thrdmanage.php on line 72

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

mtha: please check your pms.

Comment

• Thunderpuck
          • Nov 2001

I just started getting these errors when moving to a different server as well... I'm going to try to up the memory and see if that clears it up... how much memory should be needed to run vb3 beta 7 with a high load? We usually have 150-200 users online at once with quite a bit of posting going on...

Comment

• Thunderpuck
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Thunderpuck
            I just started getting these errors when moving to a different server as well... I'm going to try to up the memory and see if that clears it up... how much memory should be needed to run vb3 beta 7 with a high load? We usually have 150-200 users online at once with quite a bit of posting going on...
            Ok I have been running the same exact forums on a different server for about 2 months, memory set to 8MB, and had never seen any of these errors. Now on the new server I'm getting these errors constantly, memory is still set to 8MB on this one... What else could be affecting this???

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
              • May 2000
              • 1.1.x

What pages are throwing the messages? Do you allow large uploads?

Comment

• Zedd
                • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Freddie
                What pages are throwing the messages? Do you allow large uploads?
                I get them all over the place, replying to threads, viewing threads, viewing the maon forum. It happens sporatically, but it happens.

Comment

• Thunderpuck
                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Zedd
                  I get them all over the place, replying to threads, viewing threads, viewing the maon forum. It happens sporatically, but it happens.
                  Yes mine are the same, pretty much anywhere. I don't allow large uploads, the max size is like 30k.

I did update my memory to 16M and I haven't seen them since, so hopefully that clears it up... but it still seems to be a problem. Any info on how to fix the problem with it running 3 times?

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                    • Dec 2000

mike has done alot of memory optimisation.

Though I've yet to actually see this appear on our forums.
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Thunderpuck
                      • Nov 2001

Any fix for this yet?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                        • May 2000
                        • 1.1.x

Scott is looking at breaking it into several pages for RC1. That is the only way you are going to be able to split a thread that exceeds your PHP's memory allocation.

Comment

• Thunderpuck
                          • Nov 2001

Is it safe to bump up the thread memory size? or will that cause performance problems?

Comment

• mtha
                            • Oct 2002
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Freddie
                            Scott is looking at breaking it into several pages for RC1. That is the only way you are going to be able to split a thread that exceeds your PHP's memory allocation.
                            I think the idea of splitting is taking post# of the "to_be_splitted" post, destination forum, new thread name, and do the job.

If so, we can try this, as an alternative option for admin:

Let's call it "Advanced Split" option.
                            When you call this function, a new advanced splitting page will be display, with the input information of
                            - Destination forum (same as regular split) [---options---]
                            - New thread name (same as regular split) [________]
                            - Post numbers of the posts to be splitted [________]
                            (post number is located on the top right of each post. They should be seperated by a space (or comma), for example: 1, 2, 5, 23 )

By this way, the function only need to read the post# of thoses to be splited, and do all the rest in the background, without displaying all the posts (maybe thoundsands of them) => avoid the memory short.

The disadvantage is that you will have to open another window, to view the splitting thread and check the post# that you want to delete (I still do it, to make sure I'm splitting the right one)

I think this would work.

or if you still want to display posts, only display
                            [_] Post# by (username) on (date)
                            could save some memory.

Comment

• basa
                              • Jan 2002
                              • 3.0.0 Beta 4

I don't know if this will help the troubleshooting, but I should add that mine started happening when I moved servers as well - never before.
                              Sebastián J. Bianchi

Comment

• Slave
                                • Jul 2001
                                • 3.6.x

Yep same here .. I only started getting this problem after moving servers ..

Oh and ... MySQL Maximum Packet Size 1.00 MB
                                It's a Savage Universe out there!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...