Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flack Jacket
    • Jul 2001

Order of posts within a thread

I don't see where to decide this in that area of the options and mine are displaying the newest post on top of the first. Is it setable somewhere else?

also...why is this: "/data/sites/beta.jelsoft.com/attachments" in the attachment path area?

does that mean the the "attachments as files" part isn't working yet?
  • Flack Jacket
    • Jul 2001

^^^

Comment

• fury
      • Jun 2001

1) It's in your User CP, under Options - "Linear, Oldest first".

2) That was a leftover from the pre-public beta. The attachments as files part works fine for me, I just inputted my own path. Yours might be /home/yourusername/public_html/forum/attachments

Comment

• Flack Jacket
        • Jul 2001

I have looked and looked but cannot fond what you say to look for int he options about linear

can you show me where it is in your options panel?

as for the attachments....it says to leave those 3 settings alone is why I asked

Comment

• Lats
          • Mar 2002

Originally posted by drives_fast
          I have looked and looked but cannot fond what you say to look for int he options about linear
          Try...

vBulletin Community Forum > User Control Panel > Options

About half way down on that page, you'll see...

Which thread display mode to use?
          Lats...

Comment

• Flack Jacket
            • Jul 2001

okay...I was looking in the admincp for this

are you saying that I cannot set a default mode in the admin as in vb2.x.x?

Comment

• Flack Jacket
              • Jul 2001

is this no longer a setting in the vbulletin options as a default like in vb2.x.x or does every member have to set this for themselves?

because I notice that "newest first" is default and that is just strange

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

Every member has to set it themselves.

As for the attachments, if you are seeing the attachment options that say "Don't touch this setting" than you have enabled Debug mode and really shouldn't be modifying that section.

Comment

• Flack Jacket
                  • Jul 2001

okay....does that mean that it was intentional that the post order cannot be set as in the 2.x.x version.....or is it an oversight since that is a pretty important setting that really shouldn't be left up to the members since they are lucky to be able to turn on thier computers.

Or if there are no plans to add that setting back to the control of the board administrator....can you at least tell me how to make it default to oldest first rather than newest....newest first will confuse the hell out of everyone.
                  Last edited by Flack Jacket; Sat 28 Jun '03, 9:57pm.

Comment

• Lats
                    • Mar 2002

....can you at least tell me how to make it default to oldest first rather than newest....newest first will confuse the hell out of everyone.
                    I'm not sure how you read your forums, but if I went into vbulletin 3 'How Do I' Questions and had to go to page 8 to find this thread, then I probably wouldn't

Unless I'm reading your question the wrong way, it's usually best to keep the newest posts first.
                    Lats...

Comment

• Flack Jacket
                      • Jul 2001

you are not understanding.....I am talking about the order of the posts in a thread....not the order of threads in a category.

as is default in vb3....if you post a thread and then someone replies to it...their post appears above the original one.

if you have a thread that has 4 pages of replies....whomever visits that thread for the first time will have to go to the 4th page...last thread to even know what the thread is about since that is where the original first post will be located.

everyone will see that last reply first rather than the correct way of seeing the posts in the order they were actually posted in....first post first and last reply last

I can't rely on my stupid members to have to go and change that setting in their usercp...I can't get them to read the rules...they would never read any instructions telling them how to set it so they aren't confused....I just can't see it happening

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                        • May 2000
                        • 1.1.x

okay....does that mean that it was intentional that the post order cannot be set as in the 2.x.x version.....or is it an oversight since that is a pretty important setting that really shouldn't be left up to the members since they are lucky to be able to turn on thier computers.

Or if there are no plans to add that setting back to the control of the board administrator....can you at least tell me how to make it default to oldest first rather than newest....newest first will confuse the hell out of everyone.
                        New users do default to "Linear, Oldest First". I've verified that by looking in the code and by registering an account.

Comment

• Flack Jacket
                          • Jul 2001

in vb2.x.x you could set this from the admincp........vbulletin ptions....Thread display options.........Order of posts within a thread.....and select newest or oldest first.

why there is even a choice I can't imagine......anyone that sets it so someone would have to go to the end of the thread just to see what the original first post was would be sadistic

Comment

• Flack Jacket
                            • Jul 2001

not on my forum...I did a clean install and when I went into my usercp...mine was set to newest

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                              • May 2000
                              • 1.1.x

It might be that way for the admin, but not for users registering.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...