Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • canaryforum
    • May 2003

Avatar choices not displayed in user CP

If I upload an image from my computer as an avatar it looks like it's done it OK but then I have an "image not found/404" error on it.

Same problem if a URL is entered for uploading or linking to an image offline.

The images I've tried are within the restrictions set in the control panel (ie file size and dimensions)

So - how do I fix it so I can upload an avatar and how do I remove the deleted categories from the avatar manager?
    Last edited by canaryforum; Tue 17 Jun '03, 2:27pm.
  • canaryforum
    • May 2003

bumping this 'cos it's still a bit of a mess

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

You need to give each individual usergroup permission to use avatars in the Usergroup Manager.

Please wait 48 hours to bump your posts. We try to get to them as soon as possible.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• canaryforum
        • May 2003

Sorry for bumping before.

Each usergroup does have permission to use avatars and add and upload their own but I still have that problem.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Are you uploading from the Admin CP or User CP? If the Admin CP, are you using the name of a directory that is chmod'd to 777? What is the directory you are entering?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• canaryforum
            • May 2003

I'm uploading from the user cp (when I upload from the admin cp - all is OK). If users try uploading (permission is granted) it's where the error is. Both avatars and customavatars directories are 777

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

What avatar storage type are you using?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• canaryforum
                • May 2003

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                What avatar storage type are you using?
                Not sure - what are the options on that one? (thanks for helping by the way).

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Admin CP -> Attachments -> Attachment Storage Type

You can either store them in the database (as with vB 2.x) or as files in a directory on the server.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• canaryforum
                    • May 2003

It was database storeage.

I switched it over to file system type (all seems to have worked fine)and tried again but still can't use custom, offsite avatars or upload my own. I tried and in both cases getting a 404 error on the image and if I look at the image source it's

The odd thing is I'm not getting this problem with "profile picture", only with avatars. If I upload a custom profile picture or enter a link to an offsite picture, it's all working fine.
                    Last edited by canaryforum; Fri 20 Jun '03, 2:31pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Assuming you made no changes to the vB files or templates then I really don't know what is causing this problem. Perhaps one of the Devs will know.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• canaryforum
                        • May 2003

Changes

The only changes I made to any files is the code change in stats.php (and my stats still don't work but that's another story, another thread) and changed a couple of colours but not touched the templates and know absolutely nothing about php coding so certainly not touched the files.

Comment

• canaryforum
                          • May 2003

An update about my problem (because it's still there and I need some help)

I CAN upload avatars from thE ADMIN PANEL

We CAN NOT upload avatars from the usercp

We CAN upload attachments, seems to work great for everyone.

I have checked that permissions are granted to upload attachments for all user groups and I've chmoded 777 any folder that looks like an image could go in it!

HELP!?
                          Last edited by canaryforum; Wed 25 Jun '03, 2:29pm.

Comment

• canaryforum
                            • May 2003

still got avatar problem

I've updated to beta 4 but still have the sameproblem, any more ideas?

I don't normally get a database error because of it but yesterday one did come through, don't know if it was a one-off or if it has something todo with the problem.

"Database error in vBulletin 3.0.0 Beta 4:

Invalid SQL: SELECT avatardata, dateline, filename FROM customavatar WHERE userid = 586 AND visible = 1 mysql error: Unknown column 'visible' in 'where clause'

mysql error number: 1054"

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                              Former vBulletin Developer
                              • May 2000
                              • 1.1.x

I could not find that query in vB 3 and we certainly don't have a visible column in the avatar table.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...