Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dotagious
    • Oct 2001

2checkout VS PayPal

What are the main differences between the two? In your opinion, which one is better and why? Do other payment services exist that are better than both of these? Discuss.
  • HostCom
    • Mar 2003

Well, to do really anything you need to put all this crap into PayPal. You have to get verified and all that crap. It's dumb.

I use 2checkout Its worth the 39. LOTS OF features. Great of Online selling.

You can try the demos they have. Or you can use 2checkouts 30 day money back thingy

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

2Checkout costs $49.

And "all that crap" in fact protects both buyers & sellers.

We accept both as payment at HiveMail, and PayPal payments outnumber 2CO payments approximately 2 to 1.

All that said, however, PP & 2CO really are not directly comparable as they are not the same type of service. 2CO is a credit card processor. PayPal is an online payment system. They have similarities (both accept credit card payments, both have recurring payment facilities) but PayPal is not a credit card processor in the traditional sense. I look at 2CO as one step below a business/merchant account, whereas PayPal is more like a bank account.

As to which is better, it depends on your audience. Are they tech-savvy? Are they likely to have PayPal accounts? Nothing turns people away more than having to fill out a registration form and verify their identity. That said, if you have more tech-savvy users, they may prefer using PayPal to a regular credit card processor (like 2CO) since they are more likely to already have PayPal accounts.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

It doesn't hurt anything to offer them both.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Brian Briscoe

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          If you have them oney for 2CO of course. Most people dont like spending that extra 49$ unless they are really serious about their business.

Comment

• JulianD
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.8.x

From a client's perspective, 2CO it's better. Why? They accept international credit cards. PP doesn't, at least in my country, so I can't make payments with them.

It's better to offer both services.
            ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

• Vile
              • Jul 2002
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by HostCom
              Well, to do really anything you need to put all this crap into PayPal. You have to get verified and all that crap. It's dumb.

I use 2checkout Its worth the 39. LOTS OF features. Great of Online selling.

You can try the demos they have. Or you can use 2checkouts 30 day money back thingy
              I use paypal, and i'm perfectly happy with it. Just as mentioned above, the "crap" you mentioned is meant to increase security, and personally, I don't mind entering information, and verifying it, if it means increased security for me.
              Webmaster / Administrator
              www.MegaGames.com
              www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Chen
                • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Brian Briscoe
                If you have them oney for 2CO of course. Most people dont like spending that extra 49$ unless they are really serious about their business.
                What are you selling, pretzels for $1.99? Joking aside, $49 is really not a lot to invest in a business... you will have to spend a lot more on other things.
                Chen Avinadav
                Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• Brian Briscoe

Originally posted by Chen
                  What are you selling, pretzels for $1.99? Joking aside, $49 is really not a lot to invest in a business... you will have to spend a lot more on other things.
                  Well yes, Im talking about this from a viewpoint of someone around the age of 17, of course, its not alot at all. Right now I'm buying servers for my business, and let me tell you, they are not cheap.

Comment

• Prince
                    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by HostCom
                    LMAO
                    are you serious?

I have been using Paypal for over a year now and it works great, no problems.
                    http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                    http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

• mickmel
                      • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      Agreed. I have two sites with services for sale, and I have both options available as payment on each of them. In fact, I offer five ways to pay:

- Paypal recurring monthly fee
                      - Paypal annual fee (usually around monthly x 10 so it's somewhat enticing)
                      - 2checkout recurring monthly fee (same price as PayPal)
                      - 2checkout annual fee (same price as PayPal)
                      - Annual fee by check (same price as PayPal)

I've found that a good bit of our business comes via check (10-15%), because people don't want to use their credit card online.

I figure the dumbest way to lose a customer is not having a suitable way for them to pay...

Mickey
                      Google Earth Hacks - Golf Nation
                      Screen Dig - That's Pretty Dumb
                      Tech Support Humor

Comment

• Dotagious
                        • Oct 2001

Does 2CO take a percentage for each credit card transaction like PayPal does... or is that why you pay the initial fee?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dotagious
                          Does 2CO take a percentage for each credit card transaction like PayPal does... or is that why you pay the initial fee?
                          All processors will take an percentage of each sale. Part of this goes to the credit card companies and is their main source of income, part goes to pay for gateway services and other processing services and part is profit for the provider.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Dotagious
                            • Oct 2001

and so does someone need a 2CO account in order to MAKE a credit card payment, or does only the recipient require an account?

Comment

• tubedogg
                              • Feb 2001

Processors such as 2CO only have seller accounts.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...