Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigmattyh
    • Apr 2001

So how does Karma work, anyway?

How does the system tally points and all that? How is it reflected in the red and green blocks beside the user's post count?
    iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged
  • ccd1
    • Jun 2002

Yeah, what the hell is that?

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

Re: So how does Karma work, anyway?

Originally posted by bigmattyh
      How does the system tally points and all that? How is it reflected in the red and green blocks beside the user's post count?
      It tallies points when users rate other's posts using the [surprise coming] Karma button [/surprise] on each post.

Comment

• Lats
        • Mar 2002

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

I'll be guessing the ACP will be able to deselect this addition?

Lats...
        Lats...

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

Of course.

Comment

• ccd1
            • Jun 2002

Yeah, this would be a horrible thing on my board. Good thing its gone with the click of a button

Comment

• bigmattyh
              • Apr 2001

Sorry, should have been more specific:

How is the karma tallied? I gathered that each positive vote gives you 10 points, and I assume that each negative one gives you -10, but then how is that translated into those green, gray, and red blocks next to your post count? Is it one block for every 10 points, or is your karma mixed with your post count somehow?

And as admin, are we able to specify how many points are allotted with each karma click?
              iComix :: web comics

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Yes, the Admin CP gives you the option of how Karma is awarded. There are other things that are factored besides the actual ratings from others.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• MarkB
                  • Apr 2001

Originally posted by baragon0
                  Yeah, this would be a horrible thing on my board. Good thing its gone with the click of a button
                  It will actually be disabled by default, so you needn't lose any sleep over it

Comment

• bitbender
                    • Aug 2001

BBF's Opinion on Karma

Hello all,

As one of the paying user's of Overgrow's karma hack, I have very mixed feelings about it's use. It has been the source of several large flareups with some members on my board.

Some take it way too seriously, and other not seriously enough. But there needs to be a method for letting folks know who's a dweebalette, and who's got it together, so it still runs at BBF.

But, as our membership has grown, so has the benefit of karma, yet, it isnt a method that rates technical prowness (we run a tech board for PC's). It's more a rating on that members perceived 'persona' in the community.

We have even had those that spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find ways to "abuse" the karma system, leading to a few bans, which disturbed me to the core.

But, in discussion of removal of the feature, there was an uproar! People had grown too accustomed to being able to rate folks that way.

I have recently implemented Lesane's Awards hack to attempt to use it as a technical rating system for the membership. The ability to award graphical badges can be also used to set different "technical achievement" award levels to members, as they aspire technically.

I have been very occupied the past few weeks with 2.2.6 conversion from 2.2.3, and haven't really had the time to see the rating system in place for vb3.0 ... I'm hoping that the new system will address some of our needs..

Just my $.02..

Bits
                    http://www.bitbenderforums.com/image.../bbf_topic.gif
                    IRC Chat bitbenderforums.com:6667

Comment

• Bungee
                      • May 2001

Ok, I have a number of reputation ratings - why does it not give you your total score in the User CP? This would be useful seeing as it only shows the last 6 odd ratings.

Also, I presume that the coloured time in the rating indicates a positive (green) or negative (red?) review?

Thanks

Comment

• Bungee
                        • May 2001

Anyone?

Comment

• dssart
                          • Jan 2002

I don't like this idea either. I'd rather see more robust security measures for my forum and I probably will have this feature disabled from day 1. I don't need colored squares to tell me I'm getting a reply from a jerk, and if there isn't a rock-solid way to prevent some guy from bestowing "bad kharma" to any other member he doesn't like in order to rapidly change him from good to evil, I see it as another bunch of member PM's I'll have to address...

"Why am I bad"
                          "He's making me look bad"
                          "Why is he good"
                          "What specifically did I do to be so bad"
                          "I don't deserve this bad kharma"
                          "ban the person who is making me bad. They are bad"

Perhaps if I had it running I may change my opinion.

Comment

• seangworld
                            • Jan 2002
                            • 3.7.x

i like it. for some of us that decide to run a classified ad sort of forum, a user's reputation would be a great addition - kinda like ebay! hehe..

i came to this thread, though, to figure out how a user is to give someone some feedback via this "karma button"...maybe mine's turned off or something...
                            sigpic

Comment

• seangworld
                              • Jan 2002
                              • 3.7.x

found it. the button is extremely frickin small and you'd never know it was the reputation button. :/
                              sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...