Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrlister
    • Nov 2000

Plesk + vB Upload Solution

I'm sure everybody who's used Plesk has run into this problem. Where you can't upload anything. There are a couple of hundred threads around here and plesk each telling you different and sometimes similar ways on how to fix it. Well after struggling with my server for hours I've finally came out with a good set of stuff to help you guys out who have plesk installed. I made two versions. One is for all those that don't have a dedicated and ones that do.

Replace domain.com with your domain that the board is currently on.

Dedicated Server
    Ok there are a few steps to follow to get it to work.
    1. Log into SSH. (If you for any reason don't have SSH I suggest you install it. I'll post instructions below on how to do that.)
    2. Execute the following command
    Code:
    pico -w /usr/local/home/vhosts/[b]domain.com[/b]/conf/vhost.conf
    3. Inside that file put the following.
    Code:
    <Directory /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/metrogamers.com/httpdocs>
      php_admin_value safe_mode 0
      php_admin_value open_basedir "/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/metrogamers.com/httpdocs:/tmp"
    </Directory>
    Very Important: Make sure it's only 4 lines and no more or less. Extra spaces or lines after </Directory> or before <Directory ...> or even in between the two but make sure that it doesn't have one line open_basedir and then the second "....". Another Important note is this command takes that specific domain out of safe mode which will enable the[*]nix load in your control panel.
    4. Go to your forum control panel and Options > Upload Options and then tell it that safe mode is off.

That's it! Now you have[*]nix load and upload both working.

Virtual Host (Shared hosting/no root access)
    1. There's not much that you can do but you can e-mail the instructions to the host admin and I'm sure he'll agree because it doesn't pose a threat. Difference between this one and the dedicated one is you don't get safe mode off unless you've got a host that eighter really really trusts you or has gone crazy.
    2. Same as the above do:
    Code:
    pico -w /usr/local/home/vhosts/[b]domain.com[/b]/conf/vhost.conf
    3. Inside that file put the following.
    Code:
    <Directory /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/metrogamers.com/httpdocs>
      php_admin_value open_basedir "/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/metrogamers.com/httpdocs:/tmp"
    </Directory>
    Very Important: Make sure it's only 3 lines and no more or less. Extra spaces or lines after </Directory> or before <Directory ...> or even in between the two but make sure that it doesn't have one line open_basedir and then the second "....".
    4. Go to your forum control panel and Options > Upload Options and then tell it that safe mode is on and the temp dir is /tmp.

Installing/upgrading openssh. Right off the bat this text below was taken from another post made by dabystru and he deserves credit for it. If you are wondering what's the difference between the two, here it is. If you use telnet to get your root password all i have to do is listen to port 22. Telnet sends passwords in plain text files. To get the root password when using telnet is extremly easy and a HUGE risk. SSH encryptes the password. If you are going to continue to use shell, install openssh-server (and upgrade openssh-clients to the latest version). By default openssh-server is not installed:
    Code:
    [root@plesk admin]# rpm -qa | grep -i ssh
    openssh-clients-2.5.2p2-5
    openssh-2.5.2p2-5
    [root@plesk admin]# rpm -e openssh-clients
    [root@plesk admin]# rpm -U [url]http://customer.saburovo.com/openssh-2.9p2-8.7.i386.rpm[/url]
    [root@plesk admin]# rpm -U [url]http://customer.saburovo.com/openssh-clients-2.9p2-8.7.i386.rpm[/url]
    [root@plesk admin]# rpm -U [url]http://customer.saburovo.com/openssh-server-2.9p2-8.7.i386.rpm[/url]
    rpm -e openssh-clients is needed to remove openssh-clients installation, otherwise openssh will not upgrade to the latest version because of dependency of openssh-clients on the older version (and you can't upgrade openssh-client before upgrading openssh itself).

After that I had to reboot to make openssh-server work, simple /etc/init.d/xinetd restart did not do the trick. Once this is done, you can login to your server with ssh instead of telnet. To use SSH once installed I suggest you get putty which can be found on google easily.
    - MrLister
  • JamesUS
    • Aug 2000

Thank you mrlister - this looks really good I'm going to move it to the vB FAQ forums so that people can benefit from it in the future

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

better than my post in this FAQ forum regarding the issue
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Mandable
        • Jan 2002

Ok I think I have this problem.

But I'm not a vB king so I dont understand what it means when it tells me to Log into SSH. I'm not even sure if I got it..what does SSH stand for? I dont even know how to install it..can someone help me because my server admin wont.
        Last edited by Mandable; Mon 25 Feb '02, 3:22am.

Comment

• Mandable
          • Jan 2002

help? Please?

No one seems to want to help me on this problem!

Comment

• chrispadfield
            • Aug 2000

Hi there,

On this:
            pico -w /usr/local/home/vhosts/domain.com/conf/vhost.conf

I don't have the directory /usr/local/home/vhosts

should i be creating all those directories because saving in pico is not impressed about the thought of making directories.

or should i be putting them in

/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/domain.com/conf/vhost.comf
            ?

cheers
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk
            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• George L
              Former vBulletin Support
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mandable
              Ok I think I have this problem.

But I'm not a vB king so I dont understand what it means when it tells me to Log into SSH. I'm not even sure if I got it..what does SSH stand for? I dont even know how to install it..can someone help me because my server admin wont.
              search and read => http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=36065
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                Hi there,

On this:
                pico -w /usr/local/home/vhosts/domain.com/conf/vhost.conf

I don't have the directory /usr/local/home/vhosts

should i be creating all those directories because saving in pico is not impressed about the thought of making directories.

or should i be putting them in

/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/domain.com/conf/vhost.comf
                ?

cheers
                i believe in the second but to be sure check out plesk.com's forums

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

Slash/Plesk php 4.1.2 released?

Has there been a security update or something for the slash/plesk server config software?

Comment

• freaky
                    • Jul 2000
                    • 3.5.x

be sure to restart apache
                    /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/my_apci_rst

Comment

• Omitshu
                      • Jun 2002

My host has done that but custom avatars still wont show or upload

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

Are you sure your host has followed these instructions? How do you know?
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Omitshu
                          • Jun 2002

one bcause my host said hes done stuff like this for a while i cpoied the whole topic to him, he did it an replied within mintues and wen i tried it avatars wudnt show

mayb its got sumthin to do wid da safe mode dir /tmp or sumthing

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Omitshu
                            mayb its got sumthin to do wid da safe mode dir /tmp or sumthing
                            You need to enable safe mode in the Admin CP and specify a safe more directory that's been chmod'd to 777.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Omitshu
                              • Jun 2002

can a safe mode dir be any dir?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...