What exactly is the Single Sign On for vb4?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azn_romeo_4u
    • May 2006

What exactly is the Single Sign On for vb4?

You can sign on with one username and password across multiple forums? The information seems confusing.
    Cursors For Your Computer and Forums
    Version 3.8.x
    Version 3.7.x
    Version 3.6.x
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

Originally posted by azn_romeo_4u
    You can sign on with one username and password across multiple forums? The information seems confusing.
    If you are talking about the "Single Member Sign-On" as shown here. I would easily assume that it is speaking of a single sign across the suite of products. (Blog, CMS, Forum, etc.) [Not something like OpenID, for multiple sites.]

I'm sure if I'm incorrect, someone can correct this post.
    To be updated...

Comment

• Paul M
      Former Lead Developer
      vB.Com & vB.Org
      • Sep 2004

That would be my understanding as well.
      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• scripter
        • Mar 2008
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ENF
        If you are talking about the "Single Member Sign-On" as shown here. I would easily assume that it is speaking of a single sign across the suite of products. (Blog, CMS, Forum, etc.) [Not something like OpenID, for multiple sites.]
        Well, I was wondering this myself. If you're correct then I'm still bummed VBulletin doesn't have SSO for multiple forums.

While looking for info on LDAP, I just found OpenID today and will take another look at it, but I'm leaning towards Fedora LDAP (or 389 Directory Server): http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

My understanding is LDAP is tuned more for reads than writes so it might work better than a relational database like mysql anyway... I just need time to research the issues.

Comment

• Shelby
          • May 2004

Yeah, Vbulletin doesn't have true single sign on between product installs. If this feature is a "must have" feature. I suggest looking at IP.Converge.

Comment

• smirkley
            • Feb 2008

Well, since Blog and PT already were seperately integrated with forum login functionality, and now Blog and PT are fully bundled into the forum software as a suite, and since CMS is the only other new addition to the bundle,...

I can hope that this is for multi forum/domain logins.

I would be tickled purple if this were the case.

(I know, it really cant be expected,...but I can hope anyways)

Comment

• scripter
              • Mar 2008
              • 3.8.x

Thanks, Shelby. I've been looking at IPB today and really like the SSO option. Hard to give up Vbulletin as it's what I know and love and think I'd rather get LDAP working (just gotta compile and configure it). And then figure out how to manage and modify it. Sigh.

Comment

• Removed-836727
                Banned by User Request
                • Apr 2006

So, is vBulletin Solutions thinking about a future like the ip single sign option for the vBulletin or not?

Comment

• Shamil.
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by smirkley
                  Well, since Blog and PT already were seperately integrated with forum login functionality, and now Blog and PT are fully bundled into the forum software as a suite, and since CMS is the only other new addition to the bundle,...

I can hope that this is for multi forum/domain logins.

I would be tickled purple if this were the case.

(I know, it really cant be expected,...but I can hope anyways)
                  Small correction, PT has been canned.
                  Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                  VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                  vBulletin Hosting and Services
                  Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• henrietta
                    • Nov 2009

So I'm hardly technical. But I do know I want to take my ldap directory and sync it with my forum members.

If I understand this discussion correctly, the "Single Member Sign-on" does not provide a way for me to do what I want, but instead refers to a single sign on for the CMS and for the forums. Am I right?

If you were to recommend a third-party plugin, what would you recommend?
                    Last edited by henrietta; Fri 13 Nov '09, 4:16pm.

Comment

• scripter
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 3.8.x

henrietta, what you write about single sign on is how I understand it. The only third-party plugin that I think Vbulletin recommends is to check with http://vbulletin.org

Comment

• henrietta
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by scripter
                        henrietta, what you write about single sign on is how I understand it. The only third-party plugin that I think Vbulletin recommends is to check with http://vbulletin.org
                        Are there any other ways to achieve this without a third party plugin? I guess I'd have to hard code it myself.

Comment

• scripter
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 3.8.x

Here's an LDAP plugin I've been meaning to checkout: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=148573

If you check it out and it works for you with LDAP, please post your results in this thread as I'm really curious but don't have the time right now.

Here's another LDAP authentication from vbulletin.org: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145188

Comment

• fortify
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 3.6.x

If vBulletin had something like IP Converge it would be perfect

Comment

• Garthilk
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by fortify
                              If vBulletin had something like IP Converge it would be perfect
                              I agree completely. Though, people here have been asking for it for years. As was stated earlier in the thread though, IP.Converge is the only comparison software that offers this feature. And as for Vbulletin, well, single sign on between forums is not something that has been planned.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...