Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psplive
    • Oct 2009

ulimited Gb of space is all fake?

Hi guys, i heard from quite many ppl say that any host(even those reputable wed hosting) that put ulimited gb mysql database, ulimited Gb of space, ulimited gb of Transfer. is all fake they just trying to attract more customers, isit true? once your account eated a lots of space they will kick you out or suspend your account, is this true? anyone got any experience to share?
    Yes, this is true
    55.17%
    No, i dont think any host will do that
    44.83%
  • Michael2
    • Oct 2001
    • 3.8.x

Unless they can prove you're misusing it I would think you're ok. Unlimited very rarely means unlimited. You need to read the fine print in their terms.
    HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
    Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
    iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
    VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• nexialys
      • May 2004
      • 1.1.x

the only question you have to ask yourself:

when i need space in my computer, do i have to pay for a new HD, or i simply go in the shop and take one free? same for the ISP... when you want more speed and bandwidth, do you have to pay your ISP or you have the whole thing for free?

the provider have to pay too, so if they say it's free, they lie... you are tricked somewhere, your account is capped.
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• the geek
        • Jun 2003
        • 1.1.x

I would doubt there is serious fine print that states 'we are kidding about the unlimited bit'. Regarding bandwidth, there may be clauses to start throttling it after x amount, however I doubt they can just cut you off.

These marketing initiatives are based on averages. If the average customer uses 50g per month in data transfer, some will use far more and some far less, but lumped together they still equate to the same cost to the company (and sounds a lot better than offering x amount for a capped 100g pm)
        My Twitterings

Comment

• nexialys
          • May 2004
          • 1.1.x

my average clients have 5 static webpages without any need of MySQL/PHP... so unlimited is an amazing concept for them... when you start consuming your provided resources, you see that it's a vague concept...
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

• The_Big_K
            • Oct 2005

Of course, its fake! I have had a bad experience when my hosts database server started going down every few minutes. I had to move to a better host!
            Founder | CrazyEngineers®
            About CE | Small Talk | Official Blog 'VoiCE'
            The Big K's SuperBlog | Join CE!
            The Mobiles Forum. Got A Question?

Comment

• psplive
              • Oct 2009

so does this mean host gator,justhost etc.. is all fake?

Comment

• cbiweb
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.1.x

I trust no host who claims unlimited space or bandwidth carte blanche. Sooner or later there IS a limit, and when you hit it, something else is gonna hit something else.

My current host doesn't offer unlimited, but will auto-upgrade my account if I exceed any limits, therefore I never have downtime due to space limitations. The downside is I would have a slightly higher monthly fee. But if my site is doing that well, I won't mind.
                ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• nexialys
                  • May 2004
                  • 1.1.x

Originally posted by psplive
                  so does this mean host gator,justhost etc.. is all fake?
                  their services are real, their "unlimited" is fake. hostgator indicate it when you follow the registration of your account, you have some limits.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                    • Mar 2005

I tested this theory with ipowerweb years ago. Paid about $10 a month at that time for a hosting account, just when they began releasing all this "unlimited" nonsense. So I paid the money, gathered up gigs of useless photo files and let the ftp go 24/7 loading up the drive. They closed the account when I hit about 6-7 gig (I think from memory). I didn't even get to put the link pages up and see how fast their server would crash getting 50 people at once to visit the page and open pics at a few megs each.

I wonder how far will they let one go now with cheaper space, CPU's and RAM?

Comment

• hitmancode47
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 3.8.x

It's a complete load of rubbish, considering that there is no such thing invented as "Unlimited Disk Space" no matter how much you try, your hard drives will ALWAYS fill. Basically it just means there is no Disk Space Quota.

The only thing that is truely unlimited, is monthly bandwith.
                      Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Aery
                        • Mar 2007

Totally fake, I'm just having an terrible time with LunarPages (and I had researched a lot before choosing them) and I'm moving soon.

What YOU will need to have is unlimited patience !

Best,
                        Aery

Comment

• JVCode
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Aery
                          Totally fake, I'm just having an terrible time with LunarPages (and I had researched a lot before choosing them) and I'm moving soon.

What YOU will need to have is unlimited patience !

Best,
                          Aery

What problem(s) are you having with LunarPages ?
                          Xbox Fan-site: www.XboxCommunity.net

Xbox 360 Achievements: www.x360achievements.com

Comment

• humdesi
                            • Nov 2007

"ulimited Gb of space"
                            that a catch line hosting company use to get people to buy, but u can not have ulimited spece or bandwith

Comment

• nforums
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 3.8.x

See this articles about overselling and numbers: http://webhostingreviewshop.com/choo...sting-company/

Unlimited disk space can't be delivered no matter what.

Unlimited bandwidth is easy to deliver because based of simple math, if you're maxing out your connection (Most shared hosts limit to around 10MB/s tops) you won't transfer much more than 300-400GB of data in a month tops. (My math is probably slightly off)

However, the problem doesn't come in when you want to use that bandwidth or disk space, it comes in on how its being used and how much processing power is using it. If you serve nothing but downloads (Linux Distro's for example) then the overhead won't be much. But when you start running scripts (vBulletin for example) and doing that much transfer, the problem is your CPU usage. And thats where a lot of hosting companies terminate accounts.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...