• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Viet Youth
    • Jan 2009
    • 3.7.x

Post Table Crashed. Cannot Repair!

Hi guys,

Sorry I have to open a new thread, but I could not search any topic in here that addressed my problem.

We currently being hosted by Yahoo, using PHPMyAdmin, MySQL 4.2.16 version.

My board is about 190 Meg big.

We have had problem with database before (connection time out), but usually that would go away after a while.

We also had to repair the table, using AdminCP from times to times.

About a month ago, I ran these optimize and repair function while Yahoo was shut down, to run their own maintenance. After that, we have had a lot of problem. Minors, so I cannot recall exactly what, now.

Two weeks ago, I pasted a very large (long) file (post) into the board, and my board crashed.

I have been running the repair function provided by VBB ever since. But there's still no hope.

I went into phpMyAdmin, the table (post) is "in use".

Is there any way I can retrieve the database (posts)?

I spent a lot of time collecting stuff into my board, as well as "blogging".

It would be a terrible shame if I loose all that (posts).

Thanks.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This may be too damaged to fix with the normal methods. Please check out this thread for other ways to repair a db, particularly items #2 and 3:

You may have to ask your host to try and repair this for you.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Viet Youth
      • Jan 2009
      • 3.7.x

Database error in vBulletin :

Invalid SQL:

SELECT *
      FROM VB_datastore
      WHERE title IN ('','options','bitfields','attachmentcache','forumcache','usergroupcache','stylecache','la nguagecache','products','pluginlist','cron','profilefield','loadcache','noticecache','user stats','birthdaycache','maxloggedin','iconcache','eventcache','mailqueue');

MySQL Error : Table 'VBB_Test.VB_datastore' doesn't exist
      Error Number : 1146
      Request Date : Friday, April 10th 2009 @ 05:04:43 PM
      Error Date : Friday, April 10th 2009 @ 05:04:43 PM
      Script : http://www.vietyouth.net/VYF/
      Referrer : http://vietyouth.net/
      IP Address :
      Username :
      Classname : vb_database
      MySQL Version :

Comment

• Viet Youth
        • Jan 2009
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        This may be too damaged to fix with the normal methods. Please check out this thread for other ways to repair a db, particularly items #2 and 3:

You may have to ask your host to try and repair this for you.
        Thank you.

I talked to Yahoo tech a week ago. No help.

They said everything is dandy over at their end.

Can you recommend me a good host for VBB?

We are planning to grow much bigger than now (not yet launched).

I have thousands of messages like these (above), with different errors stated.

Do I need to post them up here so you can better tell what the problem is?

PS:
        I tried one method you mentioned last night (SQL Command: REPAIR TABLE VB_post). But it kept disconnected. Should I just keep repeating?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

If the post table is damaged, then those are the only options left to fix it. Having them tell you 'everything is dandy on their end' is ludicrous. What they need to do is help fix this database. If they don't then I'm afraid you've lost everything, unless you have a recent backup of the db.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Viet Youth
            • Jan 2009
            • 3.7.x

Thank you.

Freaking ...!

I talked to that guy for a long while. He kept saying there are nothing they can do. They don't do VBB...

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

He clearly is not qualified for his job. Insist on speaking with someone who knows what they are doing.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Viet Youth
                • Jan 2009
                • 3.7.x

Thanks.

You're such great help!!! Very promptly.

Comment

• Viet Youth
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 3.7.x

Thanks for the advices.

But I have to come back, with even bigger problem.

As advised, I insisted that Yahoo Tech take care of the problem (Post Table "in use") for me. They did.

The first time they restored the database, I tried to run the optimize function by the VBB Admin Control Pannel... which caused the Post Table to "crash" (hung up in "in use" mode indefinitely).

I had to whine, complain and threaten some people at Yahoo to have them restore the database again, so I can at least back it up (all my post [articles]), before trying to "fix" the problem and have the forum up and running again.

After a month, they at least had the database restored one more time (2nd).

I backed it up, several times, in different hard drives.

But since they had upgraded the phpMyAdmin version in my account while restoring the database, all the usernames and passwords were changed.

The VBB cannot connect to the database.

After tryong unsuccessfully on my own, I called Yahoo again.

The "idiot"/enthusiass on the other end... was too anxious to help. Before listening to my explaining what happened, he "repaired" the database "for me".

That caused the Post table to hang up (in use) again for two weeks now.

I called this morning to complain, and explain that it was not my fault this time... to no avail.

They told me my database is too large (200 MB) for their hosting service (for them to run a repair...), and told me to write some PHP scripts to connect to their database to qerry the SQL to dump the data via text file... which I think I already did the other day.

Can anyone teach me how to install a new Board, using VBB newest version (3.8.2), importing the back up database (200 MB back up file or the text "dump") that I have?

Thanks.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Do you have a good backup? If not then you will not be ale to do this.

The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file.

Please see the instructions here:

Backup:

Restore:

If you don't have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:

MySQLHotxcopy:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Viet Youth
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 3.7.x

Thank you.

Yahoo people also told me something about using SQL querry command to dump the database via text file...

Maybe I'll try that method (you mentioned above).

Wish me luck!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...