• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drakeman
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

username with one letter

Hi
    I have a big problem with user registration... In vB you can have the same user twice. First is with a small letter and 2nd with the large one.

e.g.
    Drakeman and drakeman
    That's the same name but in vB takes 2 users.

So my question is: How can I have users with one letter?

I hope that you understand what I mean.
    Thank you
    Xyngular - Health and Global Business Opportunity for Better Life
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Since usernames are not case-sensitive, that cannot happen with the default vB code. Either there is another difference between those names (hidden character) or you have an add-on that is causing this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• drakeman
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

Thank you for reply.

I have the base vB code and I haven"t any extension which can make this thing.

This is from my admincp > users.

User: palo (id: 668)
      User: Palo (id: 225)

Are you sure that it's not possible to register the same user twice?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

That is not possible with the default vB code.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• drakeman
          • Dec 2005
          • 3.8.x

how can I solve this problem? should I reinstall it from the scratch?

Comment

• Jobe1986
            • Jan 2007
            • 4.2.x

Can you show the names being used (copy and paste rather then typing manually).

There are a lot of characters in various character sets that look like English basic letters, but to vBulletin, and well any computer program, are entirely different. "e" and "е" for example.
            http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• drakeman
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.8.x

I did everything what you said, but this problem still persist. I reuploaded all files, disabled all plugins and used the default template but without success. All files from that diagnostic tool are OK. (only few are added because I have few plugins installed - but thy are disabled, that's can not be a problem).

Currently I'm trying to reinstall it from scratch... after that I'm planing to use mmy DB. I hope that this will solve my problem.

Comment

• drakeman
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

The clean installation works fine... After that I used all new files and old database and the problem is occurred again. Have you any idea where this problem can be? I don't want to migrate all datas again... It's a nightmare .... or have you any tool with which I can move datas which are in the default version?

Thank you

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

One or your modifications changed the database to cause this problem. Honestly I have no idea what changes were made. You will need to contact the authors of those add-ons for assistance with this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• drakeman
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

That's not a good news for me. I have a few plugins... so that will be very difficult for me.

As I wrote your, have you any good type how to move all posts, users, threads and etc to the clean database? I don't want to compare entire database and do everything manually.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

There is no supported option to do that. One *unsupported* way you can try is to install a new copy of vB to a new database, then use Impex to import the old data to the new one. Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

Also please view the 'After the Import' instructions here:

Note: This will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers. So all posted links will no longer work, as well as search engine results from prior to this import.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• drakeman
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

First I have to inform you, that I already solve my problem. This problem was with the database collation. username field in the vb_user table has been set to latin2_czech_cs. I changed it to utf8_general_ci and problem is fixed. I think that this is a vB bug, because this shorting should work with every collation... What do you think?

Another question:
                          My DB contain latin2_czech_cs and latin1_general_ci collation as well. It's a problem that I have both collation on different tables?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...