Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockinaway
    • Oct 2006

Spam attack?!

I am not sure whether i have had a spam attack at my forum: http://www.adminfuel.com/

There have been loads of members signing up, but some of them actually have avatars etc, while others look like spam members.

Are they?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Please see this thread: How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rockinaway
      • Oct 2006

I wish to know though, is it actually a spam attack?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

If you have people spamming your forums, then yes you have a 'spam attack' although that is not the terminology I'd use.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rockinaway
          • Oct 2006

Well sorry, but they are registering as i explained. Some of them seem normal, others don't. None have posted, so I am not sure :S

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Spammers can register too. There is no way for vB to know if someone is a spammer prior to registering.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• stemmy
              • Nov 2005

Hi Steve

I have the randon question activated on registration and yeat Im getting loads of spam accounts.

How can they get past this ??
              Last edited by stemmy; Tue 3 Feb '09, 2:33am.
              There are three kinds of people - those who can count and those who cant !!
              The best photography forum on the net
              www.photography-forum.org

Comment

• rockinaway
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                Spammers can register too. There is no way for vB to know if someone is a spammer prior to registering.
                Well, i checked the link, and I already have all those techniques in place, yet there is a huge number of people registering. I can't actually tell if they are spam bots or not, because they have avatars etc and seem to be legitimate. However, I am not sure why there is a sudden increase in registrations.

Do you suggest I watch what happens, and see if it results in spam?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...