Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PGAmerica
    • Mar 2003

Intermittent Blank Page

I have this thread on my site that is 75 pages long. I am having some users telling me that when they bring the page up, it is just a blank page. All other threads show up just fine. Looking at the source code, they see <body></body>.

I went to this thread and it display fine. I have other users in the same "registered users" usergroup who can view it just fine. I figured that it must be something on their computer. the user gave me his username and password. When I logged in as that user, I get a black page on that thread. When I login to another users account, it displays just fine.

Weirdness. Everybody telling me of the problems gives me their username and password and I can easily recreate the problem using their account, but not using any other account.

The thread is at http://www.christianfunforums.com/fo...hen-table.html and the problem happens on any of the 75 pages in this thread.

I suppose I could just close the thread, but that does not really solve the problem.

Ideas?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Try adding this line to your includes/config.php file to see if the white page shows any specific errors:

Code:
    ini_set('display_errors', true);
    Does it show any error messages now?

If that didn't help then try adding this line to the same file to disable plugins:

Code:
    define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
    If that didn't fix it then try reuploading the original PHP files from the vBulletin zip file.

It might also be a memory limit problem. Try adding this to the config file:

Code:
    ini_set('memory_limit', -1);

Comment

• PGAmerica
      • Mar 2003

Let me start by saying "Thank You" for responding so quickly. I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      Code:
      ini_set('display_errors', true);
      I added this line right after the <?php in my "includes/config.php file. I did not get any error messages and the page remained blank.

Code:
      define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
      I added this line right after the <?php in my "includes/config.php file (removing the previous lines that you suggested). Again, I received no error messages and the page remained blank.

Code:
      ini_set('memory_limit', -1);
      I added this line right after the <?php in my "includes/config.php file (removing the previous lines that you suggested). It displayed the page just fine, but it gave me a popup message that said "a script on this page is causing internet explorer to run slowly". It gave me an option to stop running the script. If I choose "yes" or "no, the page finishes loading and everything seems to work. However, the page and all others pages load extremely slowly.

Let me sum up. This is not happening on every thread, just a few. This particular thread is happening every time, but other threads are working some times and not working other times. This is not happening with every user. It is happening with 1 particular user and other users get a "hit or miss" on the threads that are having trouble.

Disabling all the plugins did not solve the problem so I do not think they are the issue. None of my original vbulletin 3.7.3 PL1 files have been modified at all (except in configuring the config.php file). I have re-uploaded all the files anyway, replacing the originals and that did not solve the problem.

Ideas?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Maybe a style problem? Try to reproduce it on a default style:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [Add New Style]

Create a new style with no parent. Then click that style's name in the Style Manager to view your forum with that style. If the problem goes away on the default style then you know it's a style problem at which point you need to systematically revert your custom templates to isolate the problem.

Comment

• PGAmerica
          • Mar 2003

That is a fair enough statement. I had not thought of that. But would that not affect everybody using that style?

Comment

• PGAmerica
            • Mar 2003

OK, I have created a new style with no parent. I have made no modifications to this new style at all.

I logged in as myself and went directly to that thread and all displays fine. I logged out & cleared my cookies and then logged back in as the user that is having the problem. When I went back to that thread, I got the same blank page.

I tried this in, IE 7, IE 8, Firefox 2, Firefox 3 and Safari. All browsers give the exact same symptom using the new blank style.

Does this mean it is not a plugin problem and not a style problem?

Ideas?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
              • Dec 2000
              • 3.6.x

You mentioned a browser error about a slow script. Do you allow HTML in posts or signatures? Maybe there is some bad code in some one's post. Try disabling HTML:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Allow HTML

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Signature Permissions -> Allow HTML

Comment

• PGAmerica
                • Mar 2003

OK, I went into the ACP | Forum Manager and made sure that html was turned off. Then I did the same thing in all the usergroups. Granted, there were only a few that even had it enabled.

Now, when I goto that thread as myself, it still displays properly. However, when I login as this user and goto that thread, I get the following error message.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8174 bytes) in /Path/to/My/showthread.php on line 1268

Comment

• PGAmerica
                  • Mar 2003

Any ideas what is causing the problem?

BTW, I added ini_set('memory_limit','128M') to the config.php file (so that the user can at least view the thread) and it works, but still pops up that error message I mentioned earlier.

When you had me add ini_set('memory_limit', -1); to the config.php file, does that turn off the memory limit instead of capping it at 128MB like I did?
                  Last edited by PGAmerica; Thu 25 Sep '08, 8:11am.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

That particular line is this:

Code:
                    		$ids .= ",$post[postid]";
                    It's part of a while loop that parses through the posts in the thread. Does that thread have a lot of posts? That might explain the memory_limit. You can increase the memory limit as you have done, or you can disable it by setting it to -1.

Comment

• PGAmerica
                      • Mar 2003

That particular line is this:

Code:
                              $ids .= ",$post[postid]";
                      I am not sure what to do with this. What is this line? Is it causing my problem? How do I fix it?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                        • Dec 2000
                        • 3.6.x

I posted that line of code to try to explain what the problem might be.

Does that thread have a lot of posts? That might explain the memory_limit error. You can increase the memory limit as you have done, or you can disable it by setting it to -1.

Comment

• PGAmerica
                          • Mar 2003

I posted that line of code to try to explain what the problem might be.
                          I understand that is why you did it, but I do not understand what it means. I am not a programmer.

Does that thread have a lot of posts? That might explain the memory_limit error. You can increase the memory limit as you have done, or you can disable it by setting it to -1.
                          That particular thread has about 1400 posts in it. I have others that are over 7000 posts that is not displaying this problem.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                            • Dec 2000
                            • 3.6.x

That code is part of a while loop that parses through the posts in the thread... one iteration per post.

I am out of suggestions. I still say increase the memory_limit.

Comment

• PGAmerica
                              • Mar 2003

I am out of suggestions. I still say increase the memory_limit.
                              I did increase the memory limit. It allowed the post to be displayed, but I still get that script error.

I have no idea how to find out what script is causing the problem. I already turned off all the plugins.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...