• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickknutson
    • Jan 2004
    • 3.6.x

Content Encoding Error

I just started getting this error on my forum:

I do not see any postings about it, but this is a day old, and is happening often to many users.
    Attached Files
    Thank You...Mick Knutson

BLiNC Magazine Forums: "Everything you ever wanted to know about BASE-Jumping, but didn't know whom to ask."

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

First, try turning GZIP off here:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> GZIP HTML Output -> No

Sometimes this problem is caused when your server is already using GZIP and by turning this on in vB you were double compressing. This causes problems with some pages but not others. It also happens to some people and not others.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mickknutson
      • Jan 2004
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      First, try turning GZIP off here:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> GZIP HTML Output -> No

Sometimes this problem is caused when your server is already using GZIP and by turning this on in vB you were double compressing. This causes problems with some pages but not others. It also happens to some people and not others.
      Ok, I turned this off for now.

But:
      1. How can I verify if my server already has it like you said?

2. Have there been reports of this issue with server NOT already running GZIP?

3. Why did it just start happening? I have been on vb 3.7 for a month or so and this just started happening.
      Thank You...Mick Knutson

BLiNC Magazine Forums: "Everything you ever wanted to know about BASE-Jumping, but didn't know whom to ask."

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

1. Did the problem go away? If so, your server has this.

2. No.

3. I don't know. I would guess that something changed on the server.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mopquill
          • Feb 2008
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          1. Did the problem go away? If so, your server has this.

2. No.

3. I don't know. I would guess that something changed on the server.
          Is there a command or something we can run in shell to see if things are being compressed by default?

I had this reported vaguely when I had 3.7.4, and I only saw it once. I upgraded to 3.8.0 last night, and I saw it again this morning. Only twice ever, but, still, errors scare people away, so, I'd rather avoid this.
          Fun, ROMs, gaming, emulations, and a friendly community!

http://www.emulysianfields.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...