X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leonardg
    • Sep 2005
    • 3.5.x

Many robot attempted registrations

Am getting a lot of attempted registrations via what I think are automated systems. A giveaway is that they always fill the Company field with the word: Man

Our system requires manual user moderation before any one gets full Registered status, still I would like to be able to just ban anyone with Company = Man

How can I do this?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Leonardg
      • Sep 2005
      • 3.5.x

Thank you. I rather not go with un-supportable customizations. I will live with it.

Comment

• cheat-master30
        • Jun 2008
        • 3.8.x

If using the image verification, turn the settings up to max. I'd personally recommend using a different method of verification personally though, one which the bots haven't yet attempted to beat. Oh, and isn't there some kind of Regex feature in vBulletin by default for this stuff?
        DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

• Leonardg
          • Sep 2005
          • 3.5.x

Thank you for your reply. We are not using image verification, but personal (manual) moderation of all registrants as we have a 'closed'
          forum: only employees and clients are allowed.

Regex?

Comment

• peterska2
            • Oct 2003
            • 3.7.x

regex is a regular expression which will only accept certain pre-determined answers for the profile field. So if for example your expected answers are:

dog
            cat
            bird
            fish

Then you can set a regex to only accept these answers so if someone enters snake they will get an error in the registration form and have to correct it.

You can also block a specific word or words in the field, so as you have said that they always enter "Man" you can use this regex

Code:
            (?!^Man$|^man$)^.+$
            Enter this in the regular expression box by going to

AdminCP > User Profile Fields > User Profile Field Manager > Company > Edit > Regular Expression

It is important that it is entered exactly as above as getting it wrong will cause it to not work.

Comment

• Leonardg
              • Sep 2005
              • 3.5.x

That worked pretty well, thank you. I may have to change the text of the error message that vBulletin sends out about a bad Company field to throw them off. Unless these 'robots' are not so smart.

Thanks again, Kerry-Anne!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...