X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • creativepart
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.8.x

Member has no postbit and info in his admin screen empty

I have a member that when he posts his postbit is empty. When I go to his username in the Admin control panel his record is totally empty, but it shows registered member and just about NOTHING else. One oddity it shows his join date is the same as his last activity date and I know that this is not true. He joined a couple of weeks ago and his latest activity was today. Plus his joined date shows different than his last activity date in the database.

When I go to his account in the database using PHPADMIN he has a full record that looks perfectly fine.

What could this be and what should I do? Here are some screen shots:

1. Screen shot -- his record in the database from PHPADMIN
    2. His Postbit in a post he made
    3. His user record in Admin Config
    4. The only other part of the Admin User record showing his wrong join info
  • ishansoni1
    • Jul 2007
    • 3.6.x

The user is probably deleted and before he/she was deleted he/she posted that..

Comment

• creativepart
      • Jan 2006
      • 3.8.x

The user is not deleted. And they posted today again today.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

His usergroup id was 21 (in phpMyAdmin). Is that your Registered Users group?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• creativepart
          • Jan 2006
          • 3.8.x

No, he was in usergroup 2 which is my Registered Member usergroup. I manually changed it to Usergroup 21 which is a custom usergroup I have set up to prevent people from posting etc, but still be registered members. Kind of a step above banned, or better put a registered guest.

Everything about his record in PHPADMIN looked normal.

I found his registration record in "New Registrations" and it too looks normal EXCEPT, when you roll over his username the link is missing his user ID it just says:

"http://www.myforumdomain.com/forum/admincp/user.php?do=edit&u= "

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by creativepart
            No, he was in usergroup 2 which is my Registered Member usergroup. I manually changed it to Usergroup 21 which is a custom usergroup I have set up to prevent people from posting etc, but still be registered members. Kind of a step above banned, or better put a registered guest.
            Is this when the problems started (when you manually changed his usergroup)? The images you took show him in usergroup 21 in one place and Registered Users in the other. Were those taken at two different times? I have found that there are some things that you cannot change in phpMyAdmin without screwing things up. The post icon is one of them. I don't know why, but it may have something to do with the datacache. Why did you change his usergroup manually instead of in the Admin Panel?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• creativepart
              • Jan 2006
              • 3.8.x

No, I only changed his usergroup in PHPADMIN so that he couldn't post any more until I figured out what was going on.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Create a default style (new style with no parent) and browse the thread with that and see if the problem still exists. If it does, try disabling all your plugins and then see if the problem still exists.

Comment

• creativepart
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 3.8.x

It is the default style, and I deactived all mods in config.php and it still exists.

This is one member out of 21,000. Not some generalized problem.

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

It isn't a totally default style. I looked at your source code and you have stuff in there that is not in the regular templates.

And yeah, I know it is 1 out of 21,000, but *something* is causing it to happen and it must be because of some change you made on your site. So, the easiest way to figure it out is to undo these changes and see if it gets fixed. Viewing the forum with a totally default style is really easy cuz only you have to see it. Disabling the plugins is the next step cuz you can do it with just the click of a button. After that, the next step is to upload all the unmodified vbulletin files to your site and see if that fixes the problem.

Something else to try.... Usually when you search for a user in your admin cp, you are taken to a page that looks like "yoursite.com//admincp/user.php?do=edit&u=xxx" (xxx being the user number). Is that what it looks like in your Admin CP or is it substituting a name there also (like it does for member.php on your site)?
                    Last edited by Lynne; Sun 25 May '08, 8:34pm.

Comment

• creativepart
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                      Usually when you search for a user in your admin cp, you are taken to a page that looks like "yoursite.com//admincp/user.php?do=edit&u=xxx" (xxx being the user number). Is that what it looks like in your Admin CP or is it substituting a name there also (like it does for member.php on your site)?
                      You're just seeing that from VBSEO. The URLs are being written in your browser but they are correct.

See, here's the problem. This happend once in 21,000 times and it's been 600 new members since it happened the first time. I can't make a change to duplicate this. It is not an ongoing problem. It is a fluke. So, I could swing two chickens over my head and this would appear to correct the problem as well. See?

I'm hoping after the holiday, someone from VB proper will chime in and explain what happened, how it could happen and what to do about it.

I'm not trying to rag on your for your contribution, I appreciate your willingness to help. Really, but all the things that you have suggested are all the things a newby would be concerned about. I'm not a newby (don't read that as being defensive, I'm just saying).

Has anyone else ever seen such a thing. One member, with a valid record in their DB but the record shows up blank in Admin CP and is full of blanks in the Postbit? I've never seen it.

Pretty odd stuff!

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

It's never obvious whether somebody is a newbie or not, so when I reply I always try to respond as if they were. (Unfortunately, post count is not a good judge of this - I've seen some people with huge post counts who, well, you need to start at the ground with them! ).

You may want to put in a support ticket and reference this thread.

Comment

• peterska2
                          • Oct 2003
                          • 3.7.x

The problem will have been caused by the fact that you have edited the user in the database. The only way to undo this is to revert back to a database backup prior to this issue starting.

Comment

• creativepart
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne
                            The problem will have been caused by the fact that you have edited the user in the database. The only way to undo this is to revert back to a database backup prior to this issue starting.
                            Kerry-Anne, Thanks for the response. BUT, I only edited the user ID in the Database AFTER the problem existed. This did not cause the problem.

(And, I've edited many a user file in the DB without every having any problems. All I did was change his usergroup id from 2 to 21. Both valid usergroup ids.)

So, what else could it be?

Comment

• peterska2
                              • Oct 2003
                              • 3.7.x

Please submit a support ticket and include your AdminCP , phpmyadmin, and FTP information in the sensitive information field along with as much relevant information as possible.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...