Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swisscotton
    • Feb 2008

I want to move to VB from IF

I am currently using an IF (Invisionfree) forum but I am having serious thoughts about moving to VB. This is the first time I have done anything like this and I am going to need recommendations on hosts (what size and what British host is best); what version of VB is best, what license is best to start on. I am in the UK, and my forum has a total of 80,741 posts and 513 members. So it’s pretty small to some I have seen on here but we hope to grow over time. I am just researching before I purchase so any advice would be great.

Can you actually convert to VB from IF?
  • SNN
    • Jul 2006

Yes, this can be done using ImpEx.
    InvisionFree is running Invision Power Board 1.3.1 (or 1.3.0 Final), which can be imported.
    You will need to get a SQL backup from IF staff (put in a support ticket) which will be ... okay can't find how much it is, seems like it was removed from the contact page or where ever it was.

But, you will need a SQL backup and a new webserver.
    Also, I believe you have to tell users to "Request a new password" or "Lost Password" because they can't convert passwords.

Comment

• swisscotton
      • Feb 2008

Ok thanks.

Ok so correct me if I am wrong. The “Leased License” is where you pay every year? And the “Owned License” you pay the one full fee and pay for the updates? Have I completely miss understood that or am I on the right track? If that’s the case I will opt for the Owned Licence.

I will find out how much it is to get a back up of my forum from IF and put in a request for that.

I just then need to find a good host. Any recommendations? Also if I struggle with the transfer will I be able to get support?

Comment

• SNN
        • Jul 2006

Yes you are correct. The updates are optional ($30 for a year, free for the first year when you've purchased the license).

How many people do you see online at one time? (I'd probably guess around 20?)
        I would not know if you'd have to go for a VPS (Doesn't have to be a big VPS for the stats you listed) or shared.
        I would suggest HostGator for shared web hosting.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
          • Jul 2005
          • 3.8.x

From what I hear.. IF rips you off.. they charge quite a lot to give you the sql database... So see what they charge for the database... but if you can aquire it, then your basically set to convert from IF/IPB to vB.

Comment

• Lpspider
            • Oct 2005
            • 3.6.x

IF charges by the amount of posts your forum has. I exported one from them that has more than 50,000 posts and they charged me nearly $100.
            Check out my creative writing forum.

Comment

• swisscotton
              • Feb 2008

I am still waiting for them to give me a price.

Comment

• swisscotton
                • Feb 2008

Ok I got a price from IF, it will be $115 for the php backup. However I was told that the Impex system transfers all data from your current forum at the click of a button. Can this be done from invisionfree? If so it might save me a bit of money.

Comment

• beishe8
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by swisscotton
                  Ok I got a price from IF, it will be $115 for the php backup. However I was told that the Impex system transfers all data from your current forum at the click of a button. Can this be done from invisionfree? If so it might save me a bit of money.
                  As soon as you have your backup it is possible to transfer them to vB with Impex.
                  The problem is that you do not have that backup of your database.
                  Looks like you have to pay that $115 for them to make that backup.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Wow, thats a pretty brutal fee.

Comment

• gamestar
                      • Apr 2005
                      • 3.8.x

invisionFREE? somethings wrong with their name

Comment

• swisscotton
                        • Feb 2008

Ah darn. Its also going to cost me an exchange fee from £s to $s as I can only pay via PP. Not to mention the fact that its going to take ages, they are not in any hurry. Ok will I better get it sorted.

Comment

• Seanie
                          • Jun 2003

I'm also trying to see if this is possible to do, i really want to move from invision free but...

Our members have made a total of 1,051,715 posts
                          Transfer for board with more than 5,000 posts: $35 plus $12.49 per 5,000 extra posts

hmmmm its going to be pricey

Comment

• beishe8
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Seanie
                            I'm also trying to see if this is possible to do, i really want to move from invision free but...

Transfer for board with more than 5,000 posts: $35 plus $12.49 per 5,000 extra posts

hmmmm its going to be pricey
                            I think that my calculator is mulfunctioning...
                            35 + (210*12.49)=35+2623=$2658

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• SNN
                              • Jul 2006

Not by much:
                              ((1051715-5000)/5000)12.49 = 2614.69407 (rounding) $2,614.69
                              Last edited by SNN; Tue 11 Mar '08, 10:17am. Reason: Typo.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...