• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REVHEAD
    • Nov 2007
    • 3.6.x

Hide forum from users

Hi

I have a forum I would like to remain invisable, except for Moderator user group ,I have gone into forum viewing permissions ,and selected the user groups I dont want to see it ,but when I am logged out I still see it.

What am I doing wrong ? help appreciated.

Here is a screensdhot of what I would like to hide
    Attached Files
    sigpic
  • Jose Amaral Rego
    • Feb 2005
    • 1.1.x

Have you followed these instruction.

Comment

• REVHEAD
      • Nov 2007
      • 3.6.x

Hi
      Yeah I have done all this but when I am logged out I still see the forum ,its very odd.

Could I send you a pm with my forums CP details so maybe you could login and take a peek for me ?
      sigpic

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
        • Feb 2005
        • 1.1.x

Alright, but just a peek

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
          • Feb 2005
          • 1.1.x

This was easy to figure out.
          Can View Forum [YES] set this to [No] per group you want not to see this forum.

Remember this is forum permission and not group. If it was usergroup setting for viewing forum, then select group will not be able to view entire board. Forum permission is per forum and it is alright to set this no [NO], as it is one forum you are hiding from selected group.

Usergroups > Forum Permissions > Edit Usergroup (select forum & usergroup)
          and or
          Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions > Edit Usergroup (select forum & usergroup)

Comment

• REVHEAD
            • Nov 2007
            • 3.6.x

I know they were the settings but ,all usergrous, view admin forums set to no ,are set.
            But I can still see the admin forums when I am logged out? I am confused
            sigpic

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
              • Feb 2005
              • 1.1.x

Try these steps and follow them carefully. Do not rush it and you will see that those three( I think you have three selected) usergroups can view that one forum. You need to follow any on the two steps below or I can do this for you and you do not have to worry yourself about it. I know you have forum permiision setting for those usergroup set to see that forum you do not want them to see.

Usergroups > Forum Permissions > Edit Usergroup (select forum & usergroup) > Forum Viewing Permissions > Can View Forum [YES] set this to [No]
              and or
              Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions > Edit Usergroup (select forum & usergroup) > Forum Viewing Permissions > Can View Forum [YES] set this to [No]

Comment

• REVHEAD
                • Nov 2007
                • 3.6.x

Ok I have checked and rechecked ,maybe I am missing something ,but all user goups apart from Admin, super Admin and Mods are all set to no for everything including view forum ,but I can still see it when I am logged out and cookies cleared.
                sigpic

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 1.1.x

Would you like to send that private message with login details. I will set the groups to not be able to see that forum...

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                    • Feb 2005
                    • 1.1.x

I set it to no... I thought you had that setting enabled, but it is good now.
                    Adding or Editing a Forum
                    • Show Private Forum - this controls the behavior of this forum when a user does not have permission to it. The options have the following meaning:
                      • Use Default - uses the value of the global setting 'Show Private Forums'.
                      • No - users without permission to view this forum will not see it anywhere. This is often useful for forums that only administrators and moderators can see.
                      • Yes - Hide Post Counts - users without permission to view this forum will see it in the forum list, but they will not be able to see the number of posts in the forum.
                      • Yes - Display Post Counts - users without permission to view this forum will see it in the forum list and will even see the number of posts in the forum. However, they will not see the last post information until they have permission to view the forum. This is useful if have a forum that only paying users can access and you wish to entice users to purchase a subscription.

Comment

• REVHEAD
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Thanks Jose, all fixed now.

So what setting was I actually not changing myself?
                      sigpic

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                        • Feb 2005
                        • 1.1.x

Just edit the forum from forum manager and look under 'Show Private Forum', this was the setting needed to make sure forum was hidden from other group(s).

Comment

• REVHEAD
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 3.6.x

ok all went well thanks but now it lools like I have messed something elsup in this forum today? I am unshure how ,I was creating new forums and rss feeds ,and a few other things.

Anyway now in my private admin forum I can not post there are no make new Thead icons anyware, Now I made a Thread lastnight and it was ok.I can reply to the post I made lastnight ,but I can not create a new Thread.

I have checked forum permissions and everything seems to be in order,I have checked forum manager and that seems ok as well ,I have no idea wht I did but its broken .

Help appreciated
                          sigpic

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 1.1.x

You need to private message my account with the login details, as I delete those sent to me right after I am done.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                              • Feb 2005
                              • 1.1.x

Your SEO rewrite is gimping up same name title forum(s). If your Category title is the same name as Forum title, then it only read redirects you to category every time. You need to informo the author that this is a bug in thier product and should be resolved.

Comment