X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legionofangels2
    • Feb 2007

Poll Question

What is the maximum number of options a poll can have in the vbulletin system?
  • legionofangels2
    • Feb 2007

NVM on first question, I see that its an option to set in Admin CP.

However I have 2 additional questions:

1) How exactly does the gif image work for the polls? When I hit view image I see an extremely thin line, yet it continues to expand based upon votes. I'm guessing it's repeating.

2) I'll assume there is 4 or 5 poll gif colors, does the system automatically go back to Bar1 when past the 4th or 5th option or what controls it's rotation?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
      • Dec 2000
      • 3.6.x

Yes there are images for the poll bars in the images/polls directory. Different colors are used to help separate the poll options.

Comment

• legionofangels2
        • Feb 2007

Ok well a poll option with no choices has a property of 3 x 10 pixels.

If I wanted to change the color for example, would I just use 3 x 10 pixels and the system will auto expand it or repeat it based upon number of votes?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
          • Dec 2000
          • 3.6.x

The images expand. You can refer to the image dimensions of the default poll images.

Comment

• legionofangels2
            • Feb 2007

Real Quick Question.

The system has 6 or 7 colored bars, but the Styles only tell the system to go look in the folder.

Is there any reason at all why I couldn't...make more bars like up to 10 let's say and the system will look for them all if a poll has 10 options?

In short, can I add poll bars?

Comment

• legionofangels2
              • Feb 2007

Well I've looked around and it has to be in the CSS, which I doubt, or the Index file or one of them for the VB material.

Can you advise which file contains the maximum number of Poll Bar Images please?

Comment

• legionofangels2
                • Feb 2007

Still looking, but not finding. lol

I imagine it would be something in the VBcoding that says:

parameter =

options =

variable =

Something like that, giving the system a numeric value of poll bar images to look for and cycle through.

I'll look some more in the admin CP, but I bet it's not in there, lemme know where to change this please in case I don't find it.

Comment

• peterska2
                  • Oct 2003
                  • 3.7.x

This will require modification to your site.

For modification support, advice and assistance, please visit vBulletin.org.

Comment

• legionofangels2
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne
                    This will require modification to your site.

For modification support, advice and assistance, please visit vBulletin.org.
                    What?

I appreciate the response, but this is a coding issue within Vbulletin's setup. Granted I'm technically modifying something, but it's something within the base VBulletin code that comes with the system. If I go ask it at VB.org, there is no guarantee whatsoever I'll even get a response when in fact, whoever created vbulletin in the first place knows the answer to this question.

I want to change a single number on the vbulletin line of code, it modifies the forum but not my website. Any change anyone could do aside from the standard set up of vbulletin, including things in the admin cp could be considered a "modification".

I don't want to argue here of course, but I don't want to be brushed off to vb.org where I'll get no response when I know someone has the answer to this question.

Thank you,

Legion of Angels

P.S. Whoever created this why six? I mean, it's not a power of 10, not a power of 5, it is an even number, but hell..why six, why not 5 or 10?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

As Kerry-Anne said this requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Please respect that.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• legionofangels2
                        • Feb 2007

Steve,

I do respect what you are saying nor am I here to be rude and belligerent. My confusion on the subject is the statement of "modifying the code". As noted in this exact post:

Jake helped me "modify" the CSS Code to adjust my font size on my forum. Granted, that's a modification per se` as I stated any change in options is a modification. Then we clarify it to coding changes, and CSS is coding just as HTML or PHP is. I feel my change is very similar to the change in coding above. It's a single number that alters how many gifs appear and perhaps the number before it cycles or loops.

Not to argue but to understand here, I think what you are trying to say is that I am trying to modify the "command" or overall vbulletin framework coding by altering the number of poll gifs that display.

I also understand your policy, which I would imagine is that you don't want people to modify that code, and if that isn't the case you still do not support the changing or modifying of that code.

Vbulletin.org is a great site, but in buying the Vbulletin product obviously support is generally "required" here and not there.

I honestly think I know "how" to change the code myself. My problem is I don't know the "location" of the code.

So in order to rephrase my question here, so that people don't think I need them to do it for me, and to make it answerable by you good folk.

Since I have bought an owned license of Vbulletin 3.6, I would like a copy of the code for the product that I've paid for, or I would like to know it's location which would be standard in my FTP in what folder?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          Former Customer Support Manager
                          • Jul 2000

Sorry, I do not know the answer to your question.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                            • Dec 2000
                            • 3.6.x

This appears to be the relevant code:

showthread.php

Code:
                            		//Now we check if the user has voted or not
                            		if ($showresults OR $uservoted)
                            		{ // user did vote or poll is closed

if ($value <= 0)
                            			{
                            				$option['percent'] = 0;
                            			}
                            			else if ($pollinfo['multiple'])
                            			{
                            				$option['percent'] = vb_number_format(($value < $pollinfo['voters']) ? $value / $pollinfo['voters'] * 100 : 100, 2);
                            			}
                            			else
                            			{
                            				$option['percent'] = vb_number_format(($value < $pollinfo['numbervotes']) ? $value / $pollinfo['numbervotes'] * 100 : 100, 2);
                            			}

[color=red]$option['graphicnumber'] = $option['number'] % 6 + 1;[/color]
                            			$option['barnumber'] = round($option['percent']) * 2;

// Phrase parts below
                            			if ($nopermission)
                            			{
                            				$pollstatus = $vbphrase['you_may_not_vote_on_this_poll'];
                            			}
                            			else if ($showresults)
                            			{
                            				$pollstatus = $vbphrase['this_poll_is_closed'];
                            			}
                            			else if ($uservoted)
                            			{
                            				$pollstatus = $vbphrase['you_have_already_voted_on_this_poll'];
                            			}
                            It is hard-coded for 6 poll images. You will need to modify this code. If you need help modifying the code then I recommend you post on www.vbulletin.org.

Comment

• legionofangels2
                              • Feb 2007

Thank you Jake, that is what I needed, the section of code that deals with this in order to change it.

I will put in a modification request for it, as I don't know if my Coder can do that.

Thank you for your help people,

Legion of Angels

p.s. can someone please merge this account with legionofangels. I forgot my password and made this account, but it's me, I'm both of them. Check IP's, they will be similar, 71.218 which is Denver, CO. If not, no worries.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...