X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PamelaE
    • Feb 2005

RSS scheduled task

Hi,

I have set up an RSS feed from google news. I can't seem to find out how I can make this update on a 5 minute basis, so every 5 minutes it searchs google news for my rss criteria and then posts the news.

Where can I set the time?

Currently I have to do it manually for it to appear.
  • Jose Amaral Rego
    • Feb 2005
    • 1.1.x

Edit your (RSS) Really Simple Syndication feed Check Feed Every... ( 10 min to 12 hrs )

Comment

• PamelaE
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego
      Edit your (RSS) Really Simple Syndication feed Check Feed Every... ( 10 min to 12 hrs )
      Yep its on 10 mins but still has not updated over the last 5 hours. If I do a run task it works.

Comment

• boxerman
        • Jun 2007
        • 3.6.x

hmm... strange try putting the code somewhere eles or maybe jsut re entering the code...? google may have a error or something

Comment

• PamelaE
          • Feb 2005

Its always been the same. Previously I was using the feed from my wordpress blog to send updates to the forum. I had the same issue where I had to manually run it or it would run itself but like once a day.

Comment

• boxerman
            • Jun 2007
            • 3.6.x

hmmm... looks likes its beening blocked somewhere... do you use host from your computer or do you pay for it?

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
              • Feb 2005
              • 1.1.x

You did not remove this from template: footer
              It tends not to work...
              Code:
              	<!-- Do not remove $cronimage or your scheduled tasks will cease to function -->
              	$cronimage
              	<!-- Do not remove $cronimage or your scheduled tasks will cease to function -->
              I am running a test with vBulletin.com. I am going to feed burn this site and see if it updates every 10(ten) minutes.

Comment

• PamelaE
                • Feb 2005

No, that is still there. The cron job happens, but not as specified. It actually happens like once a day , that is what was happening before. I set this about 7 hours back now and still nothing at all.

In a preview I can see the news items to be posted.

Btw thanks for helping
                Last edited by PamelaE; Mon 14 Jan '08, 1:45pm.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 1.1.x

Mine is not updating every ten minutes or I would of gotten more posting in the last 40 minutes. Maybe I just do not really understand how feed posting is suppose to work.

Maybe I am not in the whitelist to get it more often.
                  Warning:
                  Bear in mind that checking a feed too frequently could get your server blacklisted by the site hosting the feed.

Comment

• PamelaE
                    • Feb 2005

I don't know either. Still no updates *sigh*

Any other advice?

Comment

• Lynne
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Oct 2004

Have you tried subscribing to the feed via your own reader and seeing how often it actually gets updated?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• PamelaE
                        • Feb 2005

Its not that it will be updated with items every 10 minutes but its not updating them at all. Only a manual task will do it.

I don't really want to have to do this. I want it to scan every 10 mins, if it finds something then to post it. This has always been a problem, even with wordpress.

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

Have you tried to set up a feed from another source and seen if it works correctly?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 1.1.x

I did a test on my own source ( My own site ) and it still post after 30min to 8hrs. It must be more to this then I know. It is setup to check every 10 min., but where is the setting to make it post when it finds a newly added thread. I do not get how it searches and when it post to your forum. It must have some other cron to posting.

Comment

• PamelaE
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by U2Lynne
                              Have you tried to set up a feed from another source and seen if it works correctly?
                              Yes. The same.

I find it all very odd.

There are several issues

1. As detailed above. Nothing happens unless I do a manual run task

2. I run the task, get results. These are posted. Run it again 1 or 2 hours later. Nothing returned. Run it the next day get results, but results way back from December news.

Is this system a bit messed up?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...