X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kwak
    • Jul 2003
    • 4.2.X

Strange Sites that Copy Everything From Your Site

I was googling and found an India website (.in TLD) that copied every single content and texts from my website. The only difference is that the site is using the http://home.iitk.ac.in/ domain.

Webmasters, how do you prevent other publishers from stealing your copyrighted materials? Apparently, the growth of China and India's internet usage will only increase the issue. Thanks in advance.
  • whitetigergrowl
    • Jun 2004
    • 5.1.x

You can always take precautions. Sadly though, its next to impossible to prevent it.

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

Contact the domain provider with a DMCA notice. I'm not entirely sure on Indian law, so you'll have to check up on it first, but I don't believe they are as tolerant towards piracy as countries like China and Russia, and should co-operate
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• SbyD_Salient
        • Nov 2007
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
        You can always take precautions. Sadly though, its next to impossible to prevent it.
        oHHHH it's whitetiger ... wondered where you had got to. Busted, hiding out in vBulletin circles Yes we now have a licence as well.

Yes we have a site coping every single thing we do. Change a group to "gold member" within days they change a group to "gold member", put up a new graphic, they rip it and put it up Unfort for them quite a few people have noted it and they are turning into something of a joke.

Originally posted by Dean C
        Contact the domain provider with a DMCA notice. I'm not entirely sure on Indian law, so you'll have to check up on it first, but I don't believe they are as tolerant towards piracy as countries like China and Russia, and should co-operate
        Dean C just curious, but what if they self host

Comment

• SSSlippy
          • Jan 2006

You contact their ISP then.

Comment

• Razasharp
            • Feb 2005
            • 3.7.x

Did you know google run ads on some of these sites too!

I reported them to google.. yet a few weeks later google ads are still on the site. Some of these sites have zero original content. Unless google start to ban these sites they will continue to be a pain. Google are essentially making money of stolen property too - so make sure you complain to google if you find them running ads on these sites.
            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Alfa1
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

Also see this thread: What to do when another site is stealing your content.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• kentaurus
                • May 2000
                • 3.6.x

Sad to say, but it's very difficult to prevent, and legal action isn't always that easy. You need to prove that the content was created by you in the first place

I have seen solutions from this even as aggresive as blocking a whole country or a whole range of ip, that way they won't be able to steal more content from you.

The good news is that, search engines factor the time that your domain has been up, and if they find duplicate content, provided they won't have as many linkbacks as well established site has... they are the ones going to get penalized.
                CemZoo Wiki - The complete anime encyclopedia
                CemZoo Foros - Spanish Anime & Gaming Community (also browse our archive)

Comment

• SbyD_Salient
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by SSSlippy
                  You contact their ISP then.
                  Thanks DC notice being sent even as we virtually talk

Comment

• SSSlippy
                    • Jan 2006

One thing though is that they made not disconnect them. The ISP may not even care. Its just a chance u can try.

Comment

• SbyD_Salient
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by SSSlippy
                      One thing though is that they made not disconnect them. The ISP may not even care. Its just a chance u can try.
                      Also reported to piracy at both Jelsoft and Invision, think we might nip this one in the bud as they are distributing a lot of forum software and products as it turns out.

The other thing I find works is checking to see if they are distributing any Adobe or Microsoft product and reporting to those companies.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...