X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joshyyy
    • Jun 2007
    • 3.6.x

How do I: Set up RSS Feeds on my forum?

i would like to know if its possible to set up a active RSS feed on my forum so i can then add the data on my main homepage.

sorry if it doesn't sound clear. but its the best way i could put it :P

Regards,
    Josh.
  • Andy Huang
    • Feb 2004

Head in to Admin CP > vBulletin Options > External Data Provider, and enable rss feed. You can then access it on external.php?type=RSS or type=RSS2. You will also notice the icon appear near your URL bar if your browser supports it.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

• Mr. Fancy Pants
      • Nov 2007
      • 3.6.x

I did that on mine and the page always comes up blank??

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

The RSS feed will only work if you allow guests to view your forums and threads.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mr. Fancy Pants
          • Nov 2007
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          The RSS feed will only work if you allow guests to view your forums and threads.

all forums & threads? I have mine set so they can only see a couple? Should it still work?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

What's the URL to your forums?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mr. Fancy Pants
              • Nov 2007
              • 3.6.x

www.i-sportbike.com/forum/index.php

let me know if you need a user name to use..

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

What forum can guests view threads in? IE does not detect a valid RSS feed on your site.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Mr. Fancy Pants
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Questions & Feedback
                  For Sale
                  Wanted

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Either your RSS feeds are not enabled, or you have made a modification to break this.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> External Data Provider -> Enable RSS Syndication -> Yes

Then if you still have this problem, eupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Joshyyy
                      • Jun 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Comment

• qbonoguy
                        • Mar 2005
                        • 3.5.x

I'm having problems also...

If I turn off my Limited Guest Viewing plug-in my normal external.php file starts working...

But none of the individual forum feeds work... they are all blank...

I tried disabling vbSEO but that did not change anything...

What else can I look at to get my individual forum feeds working? Also, is there any way to limit guest viewing and have the rss feeds work still?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by qbonoguy
                          I'm having problems also...

If I turn off my Limited Guest Viewing plug-in my normal external.php file starts working...

But none of the individual forum feeds works... they are all blank...

I tried disabling vbSEO but that did not change anything...

What else can I look at to get my individual forum feeds working? Also, is there any way to limit guest viewing and have the rss feeds work still?
                          By your on addmission this is a problem with the Limited Guest Viewing plug-in. You should ask over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• qbonoguy
                            • Mar 2005
                            • 3.5.x

No, I disabled it and it the individual thread feeds still do not work... it is currently disabled...

Comment

• Andy Huang
                              • Feb 2004

What do you mean by individual thread feeds? There is no feed at per thread level, only per forum (or forums) level.
                              Best Regards,
                              Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...