• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murty
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.6.x

Cache/Cookie Issues

Hey guys,
    In the last 2 or 3 days I have started having issues with caching within the forum. Often new threads will be displayed on the homepage stating that there is a new thread. But you enter that forum, and there are no new threads in there. I have to do a 'shift+refresh' in firefox, then it displays the new thread.
    Users have also been having problems with their permissions. Some users go to view their private messages and get the 'You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page' error. My moderators are also having this problem.
    I have optimized and repaired the database tables, but have had no success.

Any ideas?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Regarding the inconsistent read markers...

I have seen similar problems on some portals that list new threads. For example, vBPortal is limited to inactivity / cookie based read markers, so that can result in inconsistent read markers between the portal and the vBulletin pages. If you are getting the list of unread threads from your portal then you might have a similar issue. You would have to contact the author of the portal about that.

Or perhaps you are seeing inconsistent read markers within the vBulletin pages. That can be the normal behavior if you are using inactivity / cookie based read marking:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

Try the database read marking instead.

Regarding your login problems...

You will notice that the login form on the portal at http://forums.youthwar.com/drupal/ is posting to a full URL:

Portals and other external pages will often specify the full URL like this because login.php is in a different folder. That can cause problems logging in because the login cookie is specific to that one host (forums.youthwar.com). If the user visits the site using a different host name (e.g. http://www.forums.youthwar.com/drupal/ ) then they will have login issues. That might be responsible for your login problems.

I recommend you contact the author of your portal to find out how to change the action of the login form to a full web path, like this:

/login.php?do=login

Then you won't have the host problem. Otherwise you would have to make sure your users are only using that one host and no others.

Comment

• Murty
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.6.x

I am updating the vbdrupal which has a fix in the latest patch for the login form. But as for the caching issue, my forum already uses Database (automatic forum marking).
      The issue with the thread is demonstrated in the images below.

You can see on the homepage (index.php) that a new thread/post has been made in this forum.

But when you click on the forum 'Interests & Hobbies', the following is displayed.

Obviously not displaying the new thread/post that has been made. But once I refresh it shows up fine. (obviously i edited the images a bit to show you what i meant. i had actually already read the 'snorkelling' thread)

Do you sort of understand what i mean now?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

When I visit your forum as a guest the read markers appear correct. It might be related to your login problem. If you are logged out or the login changes between pages then the read markers will change.

Comment

• scotsmist
          • May 2002
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
          Regarding the inconsistent read markers...

I have seen similar problems on some portals that list new threads. For example, vBPortal is limited to inactivity / cookie based read markers, so that can result in inconsistent read markers between the portal and the vBulletin pages. If you are getting the list of unread threads from your portal then you might have a similar issue. You would have to contact the author of the portal about that.
          sorry to jump in, just to quote that vbportal actually supports vbulletin's threadmarking. I myself recently mislead a vbportal member about this, however it was added shortly after it was introduced.

we use
          Code:
                          if ($vbulletin->options['threadmarking'] AND $vbulletin->userinfo['userid']) {

$thread['forumread'] = $vbulletin->forumcache["$thread[forumid]"]['forumread'];
                              $lastread = max($thread['forumread'], TIMENOW - ($vbulletin->options['markinglimit'] * 86400));

} else {

$bbforumview = intval(fetch_bbarray_cookie('forum_view', $thread['forumid']));
                              $lastread = max($bbforumview, $vbulletin->userinfo['lastvisit']);

}
          thanks.
          vbPortal Developer

Comment

• Coop1979
            • Sep 2006
            • 3.8.x

I, too, am having the exact same issues. It all started after I installed vbDrupal, but continues after I un-installed it and tried installing a clean installation of vBulletin.

In addition to the cache issues, my members are having issues logging in and logging out. The logout page will show that they are logged out, but if they click any page on the site it logs them back in.

Cookies are set to the default. Ideas?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
              • Dec 2000
              • 3.6.x

It would be better to ask drupal's support about this.

Your login problems are probably similar in nature to what I posted before:

Comment

• Coop1979
                • Sep 2006
                • 3.8.x

Thank you for responding, Jake. I was able to replicate this issue with a clean install of vBulletin, though. My users now have to do a hard-refresh (Shift+F5) in order to get the updated pages to show. Even with Add No-Cache HTTP Headers enabled, vb is pulling up the cached version of pages.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                  • Dec 2000
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Coop1979
                  I was able to replicate this issue with a clean install of vBulletin, though.
                  In that case we will probably need to take a look. Please submit a trouble ticket with your forum and server info:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...