X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

Concerning patent from the vBSEO team

Apologies for cross-posting, but I wanted to get feedback from both sides of the pond

It's a long read, but in short they are trying to patent the technology used to rewrite URLs on all web portal/forum applications.

They can patent their technology, i.e. the way in which they approach it, but what concerns me and what should concern you is if they try and enforce the patent (assuming it gets approved) on other software developers irregardless of how they implement their approach.

This kind of thing hasn't been seen in the vBulletin community to date, so I'm wondering what everyones thoughts on it are
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

I'd be alarmed as "web portal" is technically defined very loosely. It can cover a myriad of applications. A gallery could be considered a portal to some degree.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

Absolutely Josh, and that is what concerns me the most I have known about this patent and its details for a while, and have resisted publically posting it, as the vBSEO team have been trying to say it's private. However, I felt it was time to bring it to peoples attention, and get some feedback on what the general community feels. It's the first time a third-party vB add-on has filed a patent for their technology (as far as I'm aware)

Comment

• AlexanderT
        • Mar 2003

Thanks for posting this, Dean. This is very worrisome indeed.

Plus, how can a patent application be private? (other that we now know that the inventors are all from Germany despite the fact that their company crawlability has its mailing address in Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico)

Comment

• AlexanderT
          • Mar 2003

Looks like one of them, Leue, Carsten (Sindelfingen, DE, US), has also written a software for genealogy research:

He also appears in a previous patent application related to SEO:

A method for improved search engine coverage, the method including receiving at least one computer-network based document at a first computer, storing any of a link and content asso

The other guy, Stefan Behl, has a patent application related to portal pages:

A method for differential rendering a portal page that includes a plurality of page elements (10, 12, 14) and refreshing the portal page. The method includes providing a comp

Seems to be they are all related to IBM?

Comment

• Dean C
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.x

A patent application cannot be private Alexander. They say on their forums however:

Originally posted by Joe Ward
            The patent covers an SEO methodology. Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot disclose the contents of the application.
            Source: http://www.vbseo.com/f5/crawlability...html#post53071

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

Are they not just trying to patient the way "they" Re-Write URL's to protect themselves from other people copying there exact method? Seems to me all there really trying to do is protect the work they have created really. And I don't see anything wrong with that.
              Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 8 Oct '07, 8:39am.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                • Feb 2005
                • 1.1.x

The method they use will never see a patent. It just a rank cheater that needs to work off of another product to work. You can get same results by displaying tags and or recent search words on index or from any page on your site.

I just like the url(s) and that is about it.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Why they're not using terms such as forum software, or bulletin board software is a little interesting.
                  Perhaps their choosing to use the word "Portal" as their planning to extend their SEO to other products, and want the patent to cover any future development..

A Portal can basically be any Gateway with access to information on the Internet, so it is not very specific...
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• DanaSoft
                    • Oct 2003

It's what companies do to protect their investments; why should coding for vBulletin be any different?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                      • Jun 2002

I don't think we're disputing they shouldn't protect their investment. Rather I think we're disputing WHAT and HOW they are protecting their investment. The technology has been around for sometime and used on a myriad of applications prior to vBSEO.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

I'm pretty sure using a 404 to manage all redirects via htaccess and a php file has been done before. Further their code is encoded, someone could develop the exact same method of how they do it on their own without ever seen the code.

Comment

• KW802
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Zachery
                          Further their code is encoded. ...
                          Changes are afoot.
                          [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

Ah that makes sense, once they have the copyright in place they can remove the encoding. Thats make great sense from a business point of view, because they know a lot of people won't buy vBSEO because of the encoding that requires Ioncube

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MRGTB
                              Ah that makes sense, once they have the copyright in place they can remove the encoding. Thats make great sense from a business point of view, because they know a lot of people won't buy vBSEO because of the encoding that requires Ioncube
                              Its not a copyright, its a patent, they're fairly different.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...